Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,
    I have a question about UKs economy. I am not sure how to tackle this question in an appropriate way.
    How valuable is the viability of opposition parties to the UK’s economic strength?
    Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    The question is worded in a strange way, but I guess you could talk about if the opposition party is strong, then there's a high chance of there being a completely new government in the next election so it increases uncertainity / turbulence. I guess also if there's a strong opposition, then the incumbent party can't do anything too controversial economically. I'm really not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmekiska1)
    Dear all,
    I have a question about UKs economy. I am not sure how to tackle this question in an appropriate way.
    How valuable is the viability of opposition parties to the UK’s economic strength?
    Thank you for your help!
    This is a pretty oddly worded questions, and honestly it sounds a bit too close to politics to be an economics questions. Is this an A-Level Economics question?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmekiska1)
    Dear all,
    Thank you for your help!
    This doesn't seem like an Economics question and there's a lot of unknowns which would have a significant effect on your answer. For one, is this specifically to do with the current government, or a situation like so in general? Your answer in relation to a Tory government is probably a lot different from an answer for a Labour government.

The economy is affected by government spending, as well as government policies on things like taxation and general regulation. For example, a strong opposition party may block some of the projects like HS2, which could have a significant effect on the economy in the north of the country. Or perhaps the government can drive through deregulation without much opposition, which affects firm profitability. There's loads of other potential areas you could explore.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.