Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Jennie's Journey to AAAA

Who am I?
    Hello!! I'm Jennie. This is my second year (sort of) attempting Grow Your Grades. Last year I didn't managed to get past February but this year is going to be different!

What year am I in?
    I'm currently retaking Year 12 because I wasn't very happy in my previous school and with the subjects I was taking, and I needed a fresh start! Last year I took English Literature, English Language, and Psychology and attained ABB, which I'm really happy with considering my bad mental health last year.

What am I studying?
    This year, I'm taking AS English Literature (I have to retake because my new school is doing different novels), AS Business Studies, AS Drama and Theatre, and A2 Psychology (continuing on from my AS). I want to attain an A in everything, because I know that I'm capable of it and I want to prove to myself that I can work hard and achieve what I want. For my updated grades and exam boards for each subject, see the post below this one!

What do I want to do with my life?
    Good question. The answer has changed a lot over the last few years so I can't guarentee this will remain the same. Right now, I think I want to study English with Film Studies at university, my top unis being King's College London, Queen Mary, Exeter, Warwick, and York (for just English Literature). I'm also considering a few more, and this will be more clear after I go on open days this year! From then, I know that I want a creative, probably office-based job. I'm thinking something involving theatre, film, or any art form, potentially working for a publisher, a theatre company, something in that area!

What is this thread going to be?
    I'm going to use my GYG thread to give short daily updates on what work and revision I've done for each subject in that day. I'll also be posting larger posts on revision techniques I use, how I make a revision timetable, and reflections/reviews on mocks and how I'm doing in my subjects.

What are my goals for this year?
    This year I want to have worked hard, truly, and actually push myself to get these grades. I also want to get involved in some notable extra-curricular activities, like I did last year, with attending various summer schools!

Also, my lil side goal is to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible. I find it helps studying to be a lot more enjoyable. Pretty highlighters and flashcards are gonna be what pulls me through this year.

Jennie! x

ReputationRep:

My Grades
    (a post that will be continuously updated)

Side note: This post is going to be made into a cohesive table soon so that I can more easily track my grade progress, but for now, it'll just be a list!

A2 AQA Psychology: B (predicted)
    AS Edexcel English Literature: A (target)
    AS AQA Business Studies: A/B (target)
    AS AQA Drama and Theatre: B/A (target)

ReputationRep:
    Good luck

What do you plan to do at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Good luck

What do you plan to do at university?
    Thank you!! Hopefully English Literature with Film Studies or just English Literature, depending on which university it is as some universities do Eng Lit courses that incorporate a lot of film and theatre!

ReputationRep:

Name:  IMG_6045.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  196.2 KB

Looking back at today I was actually fairly productive! Although I don't feel 100% prepared for my Psychology mock tomorrow. It's just taking me so long to get through the theory.

English Literature:
    I've been reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles on the bus before and after school and I'm almost done! I read about 80 pages today. I want to do one preliminary reading first to familiarise myself with the text and then read it again with more of an English Lit head on so that I can do all the analysis.

Psychology:
    I continued typing up flashcards on Quizlet (my favourite app EVER) and completed the atavistic form in the forensics section of Paper 3. I didn't manage to get too much done, in hindsight!

Business Studies:
    I started typing up my notes into flashcards on Quizlet and got to about halfway Unit 1 in two hours of solid work. The course is so theory heavy that it's hard to get through this quickly. My exam isn't until Friday though so I have a bit more time to revise.

Drama and Theatre:
    I went over my lines for my Extract 1 devised piece that I'm performing on Thursday with a friend, and helped her with her lines too. I remember everything pretty much spot on!

Extra:
    I started looking into summer schools as semi-productive procrastination. I did a few last year and loved the experience so I'm aiming to go to a few this summer as well! So far I've applied and got a place on the Debate Chamber English Literature course but I haven't submitted applications for anything else yet.

ReputationRep:

Name:  IMG_6051.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  269.5 KB

Today wasn't the most productive of days but I did have two exams! Two down, four to go.

English Literature: I made more progress with my initial reading of Tess of the d'Urbervilles.

Psychology: I typed up a few more flashcards on Quizlet and got my friend to test me on the relevant topics before my mock in the afternoon. The mock didn't go too bad, I've learnt that I need to revise research methods and the mathematical side of psychology, as well as the psychological effects of custodial sentencing. Now no more Psychology revision for a few days!

Business Studies: I didn't do any Business Studies revision today because I was concentrating on my Psychology and Drama mocks.

Drama and Theatre: I had my Drama theory mock on Hedda Gabler, which I barely revised for because I didn't feel like I need to too much and I wanted to prioritise other subjects. I think the exam went fairly well, I need to work on my drama essay structure, because I think the content was alright but I didn't structure my answer very well. The result of this will be good to see what my baseline grade without any revision is. I also went over my lines for tomorrow again.

ReputationRep:

Name:  IMG_6061.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  26.6 KB

Today I had my drama performance of our devised piece based on Head-Rot Holiday which took up most of my day. I had a migraine afterwards which meant I couldn't do any revision in the evening.

English Literature: I continued reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles, which I aim to finish by Friday night.

Psychology: I've completed my psychology mock now so I'm not going to revise until after my other mocks are done.

Business Studies: I went through my notes again but didn't really have a lot of time, which means that I'll have to revise the period and lunchtime before the exam on Friday. I don't feel very confident about it!

Drama and Theatre: I completed my Extract 1 performance and pretty much everything went to plan despite all the stress. I remembered my lines and achieve 27 out of 30 which was an A! I'm really happy and this is going to be super helpful when doing my Extract 2. Now no more drama exams until the real things !!:danceboy:

Extra: I stayed after school to help outthe third day of auditions for our school production, which I'm stage manager of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.