Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on a continuing 2nd year course and so far everyone else on the course is eligible for the maintenance grant similarly to the previous year. I was also eligible for the grant last year however this year I am not and everyone else still is?

I have spoken to student finance and they have said that I am not allowed the grant and that they cannot speak for other students on the course who have received the grant.

What can I do or say to student finance about this? And if I am eligible for the grant would it be backdated or would I just receive whats left of the payments?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Did your parents provide their income details?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Did your parents provide their income details?
    Yep, everything was done similarly to the previous year however they have said I am no longer allowed to get the grant. I can get the loan but not the grant, it seems unfair as I cannot get the grant but everyone else on the course can. I've spoken to them about this on multiple occasions and say they cannot speak for other students.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentThrowaway)
    Yep, everything was done similarly to the previous year however they have said I am no longer allowed to get the grant. I can get the loan but not the grant, it seems unfair as I cannot get the grant but everyone else on the course can. I've spoken to them about this on multiple occasions and say they cannot speak for other students.
    If your parents situations hasn't changed, you should still get the grant. Students who started before September 2016 are entitled to a grant providing they still meet the criteria for it.

Have you actually been income assessed? That's the only reason I can think of as to why they won't give you a grant your parents income hasn't changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentThrowaway)
    You need to ask SF to explain, specifically, why you can't get the grant this year. Forget about the other students and focus on why *you* can't get it. SF should be able to explain clearly, rather than just telling you that you can't have it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.