The Student Room Group

Let's talk about sex

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Personally my parents didn't talk to me about it and I'm glad they didn't, it would have been AWKWARD AF

I'd say teachers but even that's kinda awkward lol
Original post by Mactotaur
It's the teacher's job, but there is one problem:

Sex education in this country is frankly a joke. Half the 'experts' don't know their own facts, and it barely addresses heterosexual sex, let alone even mentioning that other sexual orientations exist and are perfectly natural. We need better education, because right now we have one of the highest teenage birth rates in the whole of Europe.

It's really not the teachers job.

It's only compulsory because most parents fail to take responsibility. Imho it's akin to parents you think it's a teacher job to teach their kids how to behave..... and there's a lot of parents who think like that.
Out of these two, I would rather have a sexual education teacher teach children about sex.

There are plenty of crazy/restrictive/awkward/etc parents out there who will not even try to give their children the 'talk' or whose talk will be like 'SEX IS BAD, DO NOT EVER DO IT, YOU WILL GET (A GIRL) PREGNANT OR AN INCURABLE DISEASE -insert other BS here-'.

Due to the plethora of parents like that, teachers would be better fit to teach this in a sexual education class on average. It would be awkward, but at least they would get paid for that.
(edited 3 years ago)
You would not happen to have heard that analogy in a video your college made you watch in your AS year, would you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AcademicDevotion
Its quite well known that certain women feel hollow after home boy has pumped and dumped. Having a long term partner is inherently safer and more predictable whereas these ONS's tend to drag one in to a ballpark of unhealthy emotions and associated dangerous lifestyles. One form of instant gratification tends to lead to another and so on.

oh sod off you troll. stop trying to bring others down and make them feel bad about having sex just because you can't get any.
Original post by She-Ra
:bee2:

Who would you prefer to tell you about the birds and the bees?

Your parents or your teacher?

:cookie:

There isn't an option for neither.
- Cheat Codes.
tbf my parents acknowledge that i know about sex.
the sex talk was mainly

use condoms cos we're not helping u raise a ******* child

if she says no, u stop no questions no loophole no nothing.

don't feel pressured into doing anything.

the school sex talk was more or less a waste of time, and we all knew what happened anyway. all boys school- it's inevitable.

I will try and give the sex talk to my children one day, not rely solely on teachers merely because idk what the teacher might be telling my child. as awkward as it may be at least i'd know what my child is being told.
Original post by AcademicDevotion
I dont think science has anything more to offer. What the people need is hope and spirituality rather than nihilism.

Religion does not have a monopoly on spirituality.And science is not nihilistic.Thats just what people who can't concieve of meaning without God believe.As for "proper Christian morality" that essentially
amounts to celibate old virgins telling other people how to have sex which when you think about it is an extremely odd thing to do.
Original post by Chúpamela porfi
oh sod off you troll. stop trying to bring others down and make them feel bad about having sex just because you can't get any.

Nobody gains (in the long term certainly) from a hedonistic free for all. You only need see the vast numbers of white teenagers pushing prams (and the lack of asian ones) to see the laissez faire approach isnt working.
well i was taught by teachers and watching cartoons having sex in a classroom :biggrin:

i come from an Indian background, my mums from India so, when i told her what i had learnt and confronted her about how i was made she was not very happy :rofl:

i would tell my own child though
Original post by Robby2312
Religion does not have a monopoly on spirituality.And science is not nihilistic.Thats just what people who can't concieve of meaning without God believe.As for "proper Christian morality" that essentially
amounts to celibate old virgins telling other people how to have sex which when you think about it is an extremely odd thing to do.

Richard Dawkins in particular doesnt do the atheist crowd any favours at all though.
If my parents were different people, I'd prefer my parents to teach me. But alas, you can't pick who your parents are.
I discovered what sex was by looking it up in a dictionary. Until I was 8 I thought it was naked cuddling. I then proceeded to loudly read out the dictionary definition of sexual intercourse to the rest of my year 4 classmates before I got caught by the teacher. I think I had to stand at the wall for the entirety of both playtimes.

I recall my mum saying 'a bit of the dad goes in a bit of the mum' but she didn't elaborate any further on that. lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Much prefer the teachers.

Firstly, sex education is mainly a science thing, at least our school it was. It was about conception and intercourse and whatnot. It's all factual and about preventing STDs and stuff, so it's important to teach that. Like evolution.

However, I do not know about herpes and stuff and you know... that could help.

Spoiler

Anyway, uh, Sex Ed is cool because it's facts so parents won't be able to lie and get away with it, but parents can say stuff if they want to do, like telling them about other preferences and consent and any supportive stuff. I don't know. I'd feel uncomfortable with my parents saying it. I was uncomfortable with them just giving me a book.

Basically school with the basics and parents with the embellishments.

Also kids can make their own moral judgements by then, so sex is evil blah blah is unnecessary.
It's hard to say. I got most of my sex ed from my relatively liberal parents, or unfortunately even from the internet. That said, I think it should be the responsibility of the teachers, albeit with plenty of changes to the sex education curriculum.

For me, sex education was more like a basic biology lesson, only covering the mechanics of making a baby. There was no advice about consent, relationships or the emotional side of sex. And this was only a few years ago.

Contraception isn't just about preventing pregnancy. There needs to be more emphasis on preventing STI's, and it needs to be accessible to those who aren't heterosexual. I'm gay, so it wasn't like I was going to go round getting anyone pregnant.

As a gay guy, I often felt invisible during sex ed lessons. Everyone knew that I wasn't straight, but teachers continued to tell me all about how I could avoid getting a girl pregnant. Sure, heterosexual students vastly outnumber LGBT students, but we still constitute a small yet significant part of society - between 5-10% of the population, depending on which statistics you believe.

Would you be content with Maths lessons in which 5-10% of students aren't given calculators, or taught long division? What would you say about English lessons in which 5-10% students aren't given a book to read?

It's a silly analogy, but that's exactly what's going in sex ed lessons. LGBT students, and even many heterosexual students, aren't being given the tools they need to safely explore their sexuality.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LevantineMan
Nobody gains (in the long term certainly) from a hedonistic free for all. You only need see the vast numbers of white teenagers pushing prams (and the lack of asian ones) to see the laissez faire approach isnt working.

yeah they do, i gain pleasure and so do many others
Original post by She-Ra
:bee2:

Who would you prefer to tell you about the birds and the bees?

Your parents or your teacher?

:cookie:

I'd feel more comfortable talking to my parents about it.
Personally I think I'd rather do it in school. I feel like the student-teacher dynamic makes it less awkward to talk about sex than the child-parent dynamic. The sex ed I've been through at school has been ok but not great. Someone mentioned on here that the school should get sex ed experts to come in and do it which I think is a great idea. It means that teachers who don't want to have that conversation with immature students don't have to and ensures that the people doing it are disseminating accurate and up to date information. It also means that other areas might be covered such as homosexuality and the experiences of a girl having periods that guys (including myself) would otherwise be unaware of.
Original post by mrsuperguy
Personally I think I'd rather do it in school. I feel like the student-teacher dynamic makes it less awkward to talk about sex than the child-parent dynamic. The sex ed I've been through at school has been ok but not great. Someone mentioned on here that the school should get sex ed experts to come in and do it which I think is a great idea. It means that teachers who don't want to have that conversation with immature students don't have to and ensures that the people doing it are disseminating accurate and up to date information. It also means that other areas might be covered such as homosexuality and the experiences of a girl having periods that guys (including myself) would otherwise be unaware of.

They tried that at my old school.
They also seperated boys and girls when they did it as well.
The problem:
The boys (bar me) got extremely childish about it, whereas the girls ( as far as I know) were more mature, despite the documentary they watched on sex!
Reply 79
How could you be more comfortable talking about these things with strangers?I'm talking about "strangers" as in not a part of your family.

Quick Reply

Latest