Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recording drivers using their phones. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am going to start recording drivers using their phone. Too many cyclists/motorcyclists die from idiots who do this and I feel this is necessary as even through anecdotal observation, an astounding number of drivers do. Especially in cities. I expect a backlash of abuse from the drivers as they understand what I'm doing, but it is absolutely something I'll start doing and I expect the video evidence will make for some entertaining content for TSR to enjoy.

As of 2017, there will be a £200 fine and 6 points on the license for any motorist caught using a mobile device.

Spock's Socks. Is this in the right place?

ReputationRep:
    i understand what you mean, and yes you are right about the whole driving and using phones ect, but isnt that invasion of privacy? recoroding people and they dont know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    i understand what you mean, and yes you are right about the whole driving and using phones ect, but isnt that invasion of privacy? recoroding people and they dont know?
    You do not have the right to privacy in the public domain.

It is perfectly legal to film strangers in public without their permission, anyone ever asked you whether you mind being on CCTV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)

It is perfectly legal to film strangers in public without their permission, anyone ever asked you whether you mind being on CCTV?
    okay fair point :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Are you a cyclist/motorbiker?

I've been watching some YT videos of motorbikers who vlog with a go pro attached to their helmet. It's good for their safety. One thing they do is rev their engine whilst driving past to scare the phone out of their hand.

ReputationRep:
    fergijane88

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh9)

I've been watching some YT videos of motorbikers who vlog with a go pro attached to their helmet. It's good for their safety. One thing they do is rev their engine whilst driving past to scare the phone out of their hand.
    No. But I will be buying a motorcycle in the future, and I watch motovloggers who have crashed and experienced serious injury as a result of these idiots.

ReputationRep:
    Good on you . It's mind-blowingly selfish to use a mobile when driving. Not enough prepatrators get caught. Record them, make sure to get their face/ license plate and report them to the police.

ReputationRep:
    I do this as well.

While i'm driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habeas.corpus)
    Good on you . It's mind-blowingly selfish to use a mobile when driving. Not enough prepatrators get caught. Record them, make sure to get their face/ license plate and report them to the police.
    For the police to do nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I hope in the future there is a better solution to this e.g. mobile network will not work inside a car/van, though of course this runs its own problems.

ReputationRep:
    I just phoned the general enquiries police number and they said if the officers deem it to be in the public's interest to have this person fined/whatever then they'll do something about it. £200 fine should make the officers more inclined to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    I just phoned the general enquiries police number and they said if the officers deem it to be in the public's interest to have this person fined/whatever then they'll do something about it. £200 fine should make the officers more inclined to do it.
    So more than likely they won't do anything because then someone will have to fill out paper work.

ReputationRep:
    This was also partly inspired by me being given the middle finger after telling a lady to get off her phone.

(Original post by TheExtrovertGod)
    I do this as well.

While i'm driving.
    (Original post by sh9)

ReputationRep:
    I am going to start recording drivers using their phone. Too many cyclists/motorcyclists die from idiots who do this and I feel this is necessary as even through anecdotal observation, an astounding number of drivers do. Especially in cities. I expect a backlash of abuse from the drivers as they understand what I'm doing, but it is absolutely something I'll start doing and I expect the video evidence will make for some entertaining content for TSR to enjoy.

As of 2017, there will be a £200 fine and 6 points on the license for any motorist caught using a mobile device.

Spock's Socks. Is this in the right place?
    do you know if the fine's across britain, or just wales/england?

ReputationRep:
    The police have fined people based on videos sent in by the public

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fergijane88)
    do you know if the fine's across britain, or just wales/england?
    across britain

ReputationRep:
    across britain
    oh wow i feel included now

that's good though, people do it all the time and it's sO stupid

even cars with built-in touchscreen sat-nav/radio displays in the dashboard are dangerous tbh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.