Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yandex)
    Yes, as I said. The last one was about a play in which there was one or more of the following intolerance, envy, hatred etc. (I don't remember). Write how these affect your understanding of the poem as a whole.
    Alrights thanks very much man any hints if u seen what poem LizLochhead was on and the close reading passage name if possible thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James26488)
    Alrights thanks very much man any hints if u seen what poem LizLochhead was on and the close reading passage name if possible thanks
    Did not pay attention to that, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a long shot but I'm studying "The Cone Gatherers" as my set text. Did you happen to hear what the 10 marker was on from anyone? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You didn't happen to see the poem which came up for Norman maccaig did you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ___Sophie___)
    You didn't happen to see the poem which came up for Norman maccaig did you?
    I had a flip on his page since I did McCaig last year, but I don't remember, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _John6478)
    I know this is a long shot but I'm studying "The Cone Gatherers" as my set text. Did you happen to hear what the 10 marker was on from anyone? Thanks
    Once again, sorry. I didn't check.

ReputationRep:
    I had a flip on his page since I did McCaig last year, but I don't remember, sorry.
    Alright that's fine! You have been a great help!!

ReputationRep:
    Once again, sorry. I didn't check.
    No problem at all. Thank you so much for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Was the close reading on statues or is that another Prelim?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested in the passages, please reply here and I will contact you.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested in the passages, please reply here and I will contact you.
    ok! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    This turned into me supplying information rather than my original question, but that's fine. I will ask around tomorrow and may find a copy of the prelim to scan.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have my Higher English prelim in 1 day and i'm not very good at close reading. Could you please tell me the name of the passages? or if you have the link or what they are about. My school buy in the p & n papers as well.

ReputationRep:
    Could you messge me also please? Any help would be amazing

ReputationRep:
    Hey do you have the passage? For the close reading

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey yandex do you have the close reading for the prelim

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yandex , I done CAD last year but for that question I find it easier to follow this structure. You may already do it this way but idk so I'll just show you how anyway.

Your first heading is

COMMONALITY

You say how 'IN' this poem she creates a memorable character by the use of the speaker and their emotions in the poem. Distraught, dismay etc., from being jilted at the altar. Then you go onto say 'SIMILARLY' in another poem how she does the exact same thing but in that poem. 'Anne Hathaway' might've been a good one to use as your secondary text because it's about the memories she has of her lover. Then you state 'OVERALL' Duffy uses the point of view of the speaker to create a memorable character.

That structure is guaranteed to get you 2 marks.

PRIMARY TEXT

Here you quote from the text in front of you. This section is worth 2 marks so you only need to make 2 points.
    Simply, QUOTE>TECHNIQUE>ANALYSE

I find this structure easy for all of my analysis points in poems.

"XXXXXXXX" Metaphor: Just as X has connotations of dismay and sadness, so too does Havisham in her anguish from being jilted at the altar. And so forth.

SECONDARY TEXT

Here is where you would compare to the secondary text that you mentioned in the commonality section. This section is worth 6 marks. So, that means you need to QUOTE>TECHNIQUE>ANALYSE 6 times. Or you can do a 2 mark developed point 3 times. I usually go for 4/5 undeveloped points worth 1 mark and try do at least one or two developed points just in case.

That structure is guaranteed to get you 10 marks in the final question of the Scottish Text section of Higher English.

Also BULLET POINT every single quote you analyse so it's clear to your marker what you are exactly doing. It just makes it much easier to pick up marks.

Idk if this will help you Yandex but it might help others. I am not sure if it's a universally used structure either but if not I recommend people use it . That is quite an awkward question as well so I wouldn't get down over it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.