Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 612018
    Can someone tell me how to answer the second question please. I really don't understand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    Can someone tell me how to answer the second question please. I really don't understand it.
    Guess you've had a failed attachment... I can't see anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Guess you've had a failed attachment... I can't see anything
    Sorry, I've fixed it now.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump
    Still says attachment not found here...

ReputationRep:
    Still says attachment not found here...
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...hmentid=612018

Does this link work?

ReputationRep:
    yeah.

so if you're happy with the velocity from the first part...

you're asked about the radius of the nozzle that's emitting 3.5 m3/s of water at 40 m/s

I'd suggest thinking about 1 seconds worth of water - which will be a cylinder of water 40m long and 3.5 m3 in volume.
    can you find the cross sectional area of that cylinder?

ReputationRep:
    yeah.

so if you're happy with the velocity from the first part...

you're asked about the radius of the nozzle that's emitting 3.5 m3/s of water at 40 m/s

I'd suggest thinking about 1 seconds worth of water - which will be a cylinder of water 40m long and 3.5 m3 in volume.
    can you find the cross sectional area of that cylinder?
    I'd asumme doing 3.5m^3/40m because the ms cancel out to m^2 but I don't think that that works...

ReputationRep:
    I'd asumme doing 3.5m^3/40m because the ms cancel out to m^2 but I don't think that that works...
    well 40m/s is quite fast and 3.5m3/s is actually not a very large rate for this type of scheme
    e.g. http://www.fhc.co.uk/ffestiniog.htm

ReputationRep:
    well 40m/s is quite fast and 3.5m3/s is actually not a very large rate for this type of scheme
    e.g. http://www.fhc.co.uk/ffestiniog.htm
    Would I be able to divide the volume by the height though? The numbers probably don't make sense for reality because it's some dodgy question from online.

ReputationRep:
    Would I be able to divide the volume by the height though? The numbers probably don't make sense for reality because it's some dodgy question from online.
    Yeah - well I wrote it as volume divided by length to make sure it didn't look like I was using the difference in altitude between the inlet and outlet in that calculation.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It would be worth searching for volumetric flow rate and seeing if there are any good online resources to help understand the concept.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.