Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there. I'm at a point where I have absolutely no clue what to do with my life. Not working at the moment and kinda demotivated because I know most of the work i'd actually be able to get without GSCE's I wouldn't enjoy. I've read quite a few similar threads on here but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. What would be the easiest way for me to get my GSCE's? I've seen people suggest doing it online but i've seen even more people say that it's a waste of time/money doing it that way.

I know for a fact i'd want to do something IT related. Nothing in particular but I used to a bit of web designing/coding when I was younger, as well as a bit of graphics design. Besides that I'm quite interested in nutrition/fitness too so would definitely be interested in something like that as well....they seem like the most reasonable paths to take as they're what I have the most knowledge on.

It all just seems so complicated though and I'm not sure whether I even need GSCE's to get in to those careers. I just really don't know where to start. I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same situation but there are options. I ended up going to college to do an Access course. Access courses essentially give you the requirements for university and are normally only available to mature students. Might be worth looking at nearby colleges and see what's available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silcrows)
    I was in the same situation but there are options. I ended up going to college to do an Access course. Access courses essentially give you the requirements for university and are normally only available to mature students. Might be worth looking at nearby colleges and see what's available.
    Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely look in to that

ReputationRep:
    Could you join the army in an IT role they will teach you all you need to know and you can get your GCSE equivalents.

ReputationRep:
    Hi JJRC.

I took my GCSE's as an external candidate with the British Council when i was 20 (three years ago). Which means you study for the exams by yourself and just show up on the exam dates to complete it. You need to buy the books; I bought mine on Amazon. And you need to choose which exam board you want to do yours with - I took Cambridge IGCSE's and took one with Edexcel (I'd recommend Cambridge, I found it much better).
    I took English, English Literature, Biology and Math and was only able to study for three months for all of them because of work, and I was awarded an A*, A, C and C.
    I practically had no formal education prior to doing them, so I just want you to know you're completely capable of doing them on your own. I wouldn't give yourself such a short time limit like I did, I think at least 6 months would be better.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Never too late to start. I was the same. I've done maths and English from home through an online provider while working full time and I'm waiting for my results for Science double. If you're not working I'd say go to college. If you've not got a GCSE of C or better in English and maths you can go to college free. These will be a good starting point for further education and will also give you more time to figure out what you want to do. I will 100% say don't use an online provider as the cost and what you get for your money is a bit of a joke. Give me a shout if you need anything else!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My local college holds GCSE English and Mathematics classes for free if you don't already have the grades, try and see if one close to you does the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NI30241834)
    Could you join the army in an IT role they will teach you all you need to know and you can get your GCSE equivalents.
    You could, however .......

You face ritual dehumanisation, the certainty of institutionalisation, brainwashing,
    , the ever present threat of being posted to all of the sh1tholes of the world on back to back tours , becoming a tool of the goverment , the high risk of alcoholism , PTSD , homlessness oh yeah and PINK MIST.

All for some gcse's ?

Join the Army . Be depressed!

Do not join the Army! Go to your local college open day or just go along an enquire about access courses. They will have a wealth of information for you in a warm and welcoming enviroment. if you have any questions PM me i am half way through my course and I got the course fees paid by the goverment , which do not have to be paid back if you go onto higher education.

30241834 IS THAT YOUR REGIMENTAL NUMBER OR THE POPULATION OF CHINA? i DO HOPE IT ISNT
    PERS SEC ? Show parade 2100 hrs , show braincell!

ReputationRep:
    Don't start to feel so pressured by needing GCSEs or even an Access course! to get onto a course.

I currently hold no GCSEs or college level qualifications and I have an unconditional offer to studying at my chosen Uni doing an IT course.

At first I was exactly like you and explored going to College to get an Access to HE done, but to do one of those I had to first take a course to do my English and Maths GCSEs, I was looking at spending 2 years of study to get into a position to apply for Uni, I had nothing to lose at that point so Applied to Uni and was just honest with everything and it worked out fantastic for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Servul)
    Don't start to feel so pressured by needing GCSEs or even an Access course! to get onto a course.

I currently hold no GCSEs or college level qualifications and I have an unconditional offer to studying at my chosen Uni doing an IT course.

At first I was exactly like you and explored going to College to get an Access to HE done, but to do one of those I had to first take a course to do my English and Maths GCSEs, I was looking at spending 2 years of study to get into a position to apply for Uni, I had nothing to lose at that point so Applied to Uni and was just honest with everything and it worked out fantastic for me.
    Did you have a lot of work experience in IT? I've applied to a similar course, but even with GCSEs and A levels I still wasn't able to get onto a foundation course.
    Seriously though, congratulations. That's awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaqen)
    Did you have a lot of work experience in IT? I've applied to a similar course, but even with GCSEs and A levels I still wasn't able to get onto a foundation course.
    Seriously though, congratulations. That's awesome.
    My only experience in IT was through an Apprenticeship program which was through a company called Zenos back in the day, I never actually worked with them It was just a 5 Month course, Entry requirements to this was really just an interview and they let whoever they thought would make the most of it, never bothered asking me about previous qualifications, though all I got from this course was vendor qualifications nothing truly academically recognised, but it is all experience for sure!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.