Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the best learning materials for GAMSAT preparation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avajane)
    I wish I knew! I have a science background and still clueless where to start 😫
    ha i feel your pain. are you london based? if so, i'm looking to start up a study group if you are keen? can share ideas etc - i find half of my time is spent looking at how to revise rather than actually revising!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS!123)
    ha i feel your pain. are you london based? if so, i'm looking to start up a study group if you are keen? can share ideas etc - i find half of my time is spent looking at how to revise rather than actually revising!
    Sadly not! I'm in Plymouth so miles away! I completely agree, so much different info on how to prepare around but not a lot of actually plans on where to begin!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone have the Des O'neill question bank in PDF/hard copy they would be willing to sell me? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am in London and I really wanna pass the GAMSAT. this is a great idea, you still interested in doing a study group? Ak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjnoone)
    Selling the following;

Examcrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT chemistry
    -Examcrackers 101 passages in MCAT
    - A.C. Grayling The meaning of things - Applying philosophy to life
    -Letts Revise As and A2 complete study and revision guide physics
    -Physics for dummies
    - Practice papers If you are interested I'm willing to sell the lot for 20 quid plus whatever postage costs.
    -Organic chemistry for dummies 1
    -Organic chemistry 1 workbook for dummies.

Willing to sell the lot for 25 quid plus whatever postage costs

Thanks

Is this still for sale?

ReputationRep:
    I have only just found out that I have to sit the GAMSAT as well as the UKCAT. I really have no idea where to even start and I'm feeling so overwhelmed. The cost of registration, on top of the study materials, as well as the UKCAT cost and Kaplan course cost are making my eyes water!! Also the idea of a five and a half hour test is ludicrous!! Do you get a comfort break between sections? And does anyone know what scores different universities use as a cut-off for applicants?
    Any tips for someone who has done a lot of chemistry and biology, but never even dabbled in physics?

Thanks... And sorry for the word vomit

ReputationRep:
    No break between sections one and two but then an hour between that and section 3 x

ReputationRep:
    Before sitting the GAMSAT in September 2015 I did minimal preparation for it (I made more of an effort to read newspapers/well written articles/opinion pieces/persuasive writing examples and did some reading up on what to actually expect in the paper itself): The most useful thing I did was prepare for UKCAT the year before...

Section 1 of GAMSAT is fairly similar to the verbal reasoning section of UKCAT, so, I used the UKCAT method to rapidly answer every question I could,
    this then gives you plenty of time to go back and answer the rest with a bit more thought, so, the popular UKCAT book would be a good start

Section 2... This is all about being 'well read' and able to write coherently on a wide range of topics, so read newspapers, books, on a wide range of topics, be comfortable blagging your way through a conversation on anything, have quotes and examples of things. Some psychology 101 might be useful (you can shoehorn psychology into most things, biases, fallacies etc) Practice writing by hand (I was out of practice, my hand was sore by the end of it) and, for exam technique, don't start writing start away, you get reading time at the start, use it, then, use another ten minutes of your writing time to plan out your essays, then write quickly and stick to your plan.

Section 3... I'm from a science background this didn't give me any worries and I'm not sure it should worry anyone else... You aren't expected to be an expert on science to pass this, I've read that it's first year undergraduate chemistry and biology and a-level physics... and this may be true in one regard, the topics the questions are on are concepts that are roughly introduced at that level, however; the questions aren't asking you to know about the topics, they are 'pattern spotting' exercises... You might get given some h1-NMR spectra and asked to identify which molecule matches which spectra... You don't need to have advanced analytical chemistry knowledge to do this, you need to look at the pattern given in the example and apply it to the 4 molecules/spectra given. You might get a question on the breeding and inheritance of coat and eye colour in Norwegian mole rats; you don't need to be an expert in zoology, you just need to understand the 'rules' given in the question context info and then apply them to get the answer. (think of this a bit like the pattern section in UKCAT; quickly figure out the 'rules' and apply them)

This got me a 72 (71/55/79) ymmv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gstar888)
    Hey

I have the MediRed 6th edition and The Guru Method books available as well as Prep Genie exam papers if you're interested. I got a 62 and above 50 in all the sections last year and got a place this year.

Thanks,

Gabriela
    where did you get a place?

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on TedED for essay prep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mady)
    I have only just found out that I have to sit the GAMSAT as well as the UKCAT. I really have no idea where to even start and I'm feeling so overwhelmed. The cost of registration, on top of the study materials, as well as the UKCAT cost and Kaplan course cost are making my eyes water!! Also the idea of a five and a half hour test is ludicrous!! Do you get a comfort break between sections? And does anyone know what scores different universities use as a cut-off for applicants?
    Any tips for someone who has done a lot of chemistry and biology, but never even dabbled in physics?

Thanks... And sorry for the word vomit
    Get an A level physics revision guide and use Khan Academy to prepare you for the Physics questions. But they're only 20% of section 3, so if your strengths are Bio and Chem don't forget to fortify them as strengths to help you get a good mark.

It is a long and tiring exam, but once you're sat there you just get on with it. You get a 1 hour lunchbreak and toilet breaks during and between sections (much like a typical exam).

(Original post by eilidhchambe)
    Thoughts on TedED for essay prep?
    TEDED tends to explain concepts more than ideas. It'd be better for section 3? Use TED Talks for essay prep - make notes on the ideas talked about in videos. TED often organise talks with similar themes into playlists, which is extremely handy. I got a lot of good things to write for an 'education' theme from TED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjnoone)
    Selling the following;

Examcrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT chemistry
    -Examcrackers 101 passages in MCAT
    - A.C. Grayling The meaning of things - Applying philosophy to life
    -Letts Revise As and A2 complete study and revision guide physics
    -Physics for dummies
    - Practice papers If you are interested I'm willing to sell the lot for 20 quid plus whatever postage costs.
    -Organic chemistry for dummies 1
    -Organic chemistry 1 workbook for dummies.

Willing to sell the lot for 25 quid plus whatever postage costs

Thanks
    Hey I'm interested in buying the lot

ReputationRep:
    hey do you still have them available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christiandransfiel)
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take the GAMSAT exam in September, and wondered what materials people would for an individual like myself, with no science background.

I've already purchased the Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 for Dummies books, along with the workbook for book 1, and the ACER GAMSAT official exam papers.

Also, if anyone has any material that they'd like to sell to me, I'd be interested in that, too.

Any advice would be much-appreciated!
    Hey, if you're still interested I'm selling PDF documents of past papers and revision materials from the Griffiths GAMSAT reviews to Des O'Neils and many more! Contact me if you're interested!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TT1994)
    hey do you still have them available?
    Hey I'm selling some revision material too if you're interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourminutemile)
    Hi, does anyone have the Des O'neill question bank in PDF/hard copy they would be willing to sell me? Thanks in advance
    If you're still interested I have PDF for Des O'Neils

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourminutemile)
    If you're still interested I'm selling PDF for Des O'Neils

ReputationRep:
    I've just taken the GAMSAT in September and achieved a score of 74. I went on the GradMed course and have all their books, materials and past papers. Looking to sell, PM if you're interested.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.