Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Upset and worried about studying abroad :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying in Spain next month and I am getting so upset about leaving. The main reason is that I don't want to leave my boyfriend and family. I'm only going until May but this seems so long away!
    I can't not go because it's compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    Try to calm down! It's not as scary as you thought. Also Spain is not very far away. You can still contact them very often.
    You can just think you will have a fun and unique experience there. Time will fly so quickly when you are enjoying what you are doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am upset about leaving everyone behind

ReputationRep:
    You're not leaving everyone behind! Is it your own decision to study abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is currently studying abroad in Italy I can say it's perfectly normal and acceptable to be nervous! I was in the same situation as you a few months ago, I really didn't want to go but I'm so glad I stuck it out, I've met so many new people and gone to lots of new places. Once you get over the initial fear and shock of being in a new country you begin to develop a day to day routine which makes things loads easier.

My advice would be to see if there's any student organisations or committees that organise events so you stay occupied. The Erasmus Student Network often organise day trips to cites and club events and once you've been to these places you can always take your friends or boyfriend if they come to visit! Also try and bring some pictures and mementos from home so you feel more at ease.

Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll have a great time

ReputationRep:
    Go and talk to your Study Abroad office - they can put you in touch with the students who went there last year and talking to them will help to get this in perspective.

PS. You are not going for ever, just a few months, and you can keep in touch easily with Skype, emails, and them visiting you etc. This is the point when you do have to grow-up a bit and do some things on your own, and they will all still be there when you get home.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.