Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im studying law, psychology and media and I want to get into Cambridge studing human,social and political science
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by ZAinabzai)
    Im studying law, psychology and media and I want to get into Cambridge studing human,social and political science
    What do the entry requirements say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What do the entry requirements say?
    It it says essay based a level but many ppl said they wouldn't accept you without facilitating subjects
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Russel, yes. Cambridge - less likely but not impossible if you get excellent grades.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Russell Group no problem but I think Cambridge would be sniffy about your choice of subjects.
    • Very Important Poster

It it says essay based a level but many ppl said they wouldn't accept you without facilitating subjects
    Why arent you speaking to Cambridge about this and checking the entry requirements on the web page?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Russel, yes. Cambridge - less likely but not impossible if you get excellent grades.
    Do U go Cambridge, this is just depress es me

ReputationRep:
    Why arent you speaking to Cambridge about this and checking the entry requirements on the web page?
    I did but it only says essay based a level
    • Very Important Poster

I did but it only says essay based a level

It is not essential for you to have studied any particular subjects previously.

Different Colleges have different selection preferences, therefore you should check the individual College websites. If after consulting the websites you have any further queries about admissions requirements, do get in touch with the admissions office at your preferred College.

ReputationRep:
    It is not essential for you to have studied any particular subjects previously.

Different Colleges have different selection preferences, therefore you should check the individual College websites. If after consulting the websites you have any further queries about admissions requirements, do get in touch with the admissions office at your preferred College.
    I already did and all they say is essay based subjects
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Russell Group - yes.
    Cambridge - no.

This should convince you that getting into Cambridge with the A-levels you chose is pretty much impossible.

For those too lazy to check the site, here is a summary.

To quote:

'All Arts applicants should offer a minimum of two subjects from Lists A1 and A2. They should also offer a third A-level from Lists A1, A2 and B. Some List B options are restricted to applicants in particular subjects, which are specified in brackets where relevant.'

They only make a difference between arts and sciences, so I assume HSPS also falls under arts.

List A1:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Physics

List A2:
    Art History
    Chinese
    Classical Civilisation
    Economics
    English Literature
    French
    Geography
    German
    Greek
    History
    Irish
    Italian
    Japanese
    Latin
    Music
    Philosophy
    Religious Studies
    Russian
    Spanish
    Welsh

List B:
    Archaeology (HSPS)
    Art & Design (Arts)
    Business Studies (Economics)
    Computing (Computer Science)
    Creative Writing (English)
    Design & Technology (Architecture)
    Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
    Electronics (Engineering)
    English Language (Arts)
    Film Studies (Arts)
    Government & Politics (Arts)
    Law (Land Economy & Law)
    Media Studies (Arts)
    Psychology (Arts)
    Sociology (Arts)

All of your subjects are from list B, so you already do not meet the general subject requirement.

This is for Trinity College, but I do not think the other colleges are any different.

Sorry about this. Good luck with getting into a Russell Group university, though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    Russell Group - yes.
    Cambridge - no.

This should convince you that getting into Cambridge with the A-levels you chose is pretty much impossible.

For those too lazy to check the site, here is a summary.

To quote:

'All Arts applicants should offer a minimum of two subjects from Lists A1 and A2. They should also offer a third A-level from Lists A1, A2 and B. Some List B options are restricted to applicants in particular subjects, which are specified in brackets where relevant.'

List A1:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Physics

List A2:
    Art History
    Chinese
    Classical Civilisation
    Economics
    English Literature
    French
    Geography
    German
    Greek
    History
    Irish
    Italian
    Japanese
    Latin
    Music
    Philosophy
    Religious Studies
    Russian
    Spanish
    Welsh

List B:
    Archaeology (HSPS)
    Art & Design (Arts)
    Business Studies (Economics)
    Computing (Computer Science)
    Creative Writing (English)
    Design & Technology (Architecture)
    Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
    Electronics (Engineering)
    English Language (Arts)
    Film Studies (Arts)
    Government & Politics (Arts)
    Law (Land Economy & Law)
    Media Studies (Arts)
    Psychology (Arts)
    Sociology (Arts)

All of your subjects are from list B, so you already do not meet the general subject requirement.

This is for Trinity College, but I do not think the other colleges are any different.

Is oxford the same
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The colleges ARE different. Trinity is particularly fussy.

Cambridge's more general advice is here:
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ectmatters.pdf

You should ask a few colleges direct.

I already did and all they say is essay based subjects
    Did you specifically tell them your choices and they said no?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Is oxford the same
    Yes, as far as I know. Oxford also has higher GCSE expectations than Cambridge, from what I have heard.

You may be able to get in for a Master's if you do well in your A-levels and in university, though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If that was a university-wide policy then I'd be very surprised if Trinity College were the only one stating it publicly. Admissions policy does vary by college.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    The colleges ARE different. Trinity is particularly fussy.

Cambridge's more general advice is here:
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ectmatters.pdf
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    If that was a university-wide policy then I'd be very surprised if Trinity College were the only one stating it publicly. Admissions policy does vary by college.
    Got it How much do they vary, though? They are still part of the same university, after all.

Regarding the general advice: this is not directly related to the question at hand, but I find it to be very similar to Trinity's list, just put in a nicer, more mellow way. 'Keystones' are basically list A1 and half of A2, 'good' choices are the rest of the A2 list, and 'possible for some courses' sounds like a less specific and harsh list B. :lolwut:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Do U go Cambridge, this is just depress es me
    No, I go to the other one. jneill seems to know what they're talking about though.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Got it How much do they vary, though? They are still part of the same university, after all.

Regarding the general advice: this is not directly related to the question at hand, but I find it to be very similar to Trinity's list, just put in a nicer, more mellow way. 'Keystones' are basically list A1 and half of A2, 'good' choices are the rest of the A2 list, and 'possible for some courses' sounds like a less specific and harsh list B. :lolwut:
    Yes other colleges *might* be more open to the idea. The only people who can answer are the specific colleges. OP needs to ask a few, not just one, and not CAO (the Central Admissions Office). Colleges are responsible for admissions, not the university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.