Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, It's my first post to the forum, nice to see you! I am looking to study abroad for my master course and I need some advice about it. I hope this is the right thread for my post.

At first I'm looking to apply at the Copenhagen Business School and the Aarhus University, both in Denmark. I also have seen some interesting programmes in Warwick Business School and in Lancaster, in the UK. Mostly I am interested in the employability of the degrees from these universities. I am not sure about the status that the danish universities have abroad and I'm also worried that they are 2 year programmes. I believe that the status of english universities is much better abroad, in terms of employability. Every advice from anyone who knows something about these universities, either danish or english would be very helpful! Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    anyone? at least someone who knows anything about these danish universities, can you give some information?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostre93)
    anyone? at least someone who knows anything about these danish universities, can you give some information?
    I can't comment much on the actual universities. However I'm also hoping to do a masters outside of the UK and I'm clueless about the global standing of the places I'm looking at. My best advice would be to check the league tables. Both QS (topuniversites.com) and Times Higher Education (THE, http://www.timeshighereducation.com/...rsity-rankings) should be the go to options. However don't base it off these alone, just use it more as a gauge to avoid the really bad universities. Take them with a pinch of salt also, QS has some in the top 250 while the same uni is 800+ on THE.

As for the 2years part, check that it is 2 years of study. I've applied for a couple of ones in Sweden and the 4th out of 4 semesters is actually a placement. So considering you'd probably be getting paid (or at least getting work experience and not studying) its really only one semester longer than a UK degree. Also, check the actual semester dates. For example most UK degrees are one full year, class Sept-May, thesis June-August. Which is actually 3 semesters really.

ReputationRep:
    thank you mate! I've seen pretty competitive study programmes in both Denmark and Sweden, I believe its a good choice!

ReputationRep:
    What about France? The best business schools in Europe are in there, look at the Financial Times rankings, you'll find HEC, Insead, ESSEC and ESPC at the top. Plus, you won't have to endure "Brexit" problems while you're studying there, you can rest assure that tuition fees and visa requirements (none if you're from Denmark) will stay like that. Oh and don't worry about the language, business courses are taught in English.

ReputationRep:
    My £0.02: I have been an exchange student at Aarhus universitet myself, and in Scandinavia it is a very respectable institution. However it does not have a strong name in the UK in terms of employability - you would be better off getting a British degree for that. Copenhagen is also great but again it does not beat the top-notch UK degrees.

Regarding France - although they have highly ranked schools, I would not recommend you studying there (where are you from btw?). I live in France currently and the French educational system is very elitist and snobbish. It is very hierarirchal and the environment in top schools such as HEC is nearly unbearable. The students tend to be incredibly lazy (because in France it is enough if they know they will have a diploma from HEC no matter what their grades are - their life is all set up) and the French tend to exclude international students. It depends what kind of environment makes you feel more comfortable at, to me for example the French system and overall educational culture does not work at all.

ReputationRep:
    So generally from your experience, do you believe Aarhus is a good choice for master studies?
    I am from Greece and I am more interested in the overall reputation over Europe, and Aarhus University has good positions in most of the rankings. I've also applied in the UK and I am just waiting for the answers so that I can decide. I believe that the UK has more working opportunities than Denmark. I agree with you about France, this is why I didn't choose to apply there.
    Thank you for your help mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostre93)
    So generally from your experience, do you believe Aarhus is a good choice for master studies?
    I am from Greece and I am more interested in the overall reputation over Europe, and Aarhus University has good positions in most of the rankings. I've also applied in the UK and I am just waiting for the answers so that I can decide. I believe that the UK has more working opportunities than Denmark. I agree with you about France, this is why I didn't choose to apply there.
    Thank you for your help mate!
    It depends what you want to do after. Where do you want to work? I'm from northern Europe and I aim to work and live in London afterwards, that is why I decided to make the move of going for the MSc in the UK to open doors. It also depends if you already have work experience or not, if you have decent internships in your CV already for example then if you would move to the UK afterwards it shouldn't be too much hassle, otherwise it's better if you go to study in the UK and try to join the job market from there (which is what I am doing).

Aarhus yes a very respectable university although I'd say it's behind Copenhagen Business School in terms of reputation for business studies. I'd say Copenhagen is better heard of around Europe thus if you want an international career it would be better (same for Stockholm School of Economics).

For France, I think it's worth studying there if you want to work in France afterwards. Otherwise, I think you'd be better off studying in the UK instead, since the French fees are not exactly cheaper! Plus - do you speak French? Because if not, you'd definitely need to learn - not only for daily life, but also if you want to compete for a decent job after graduation. And same applies to Denmark, you'd need to have at least a basic level of Danish to compete with local students for the best jobs.

The language barrier is one of the reasons that make the UK so attractive.

The unis in Norway (Norwegian Business School and NHH), Sweden, Denmark, etc, enjoy an excellent local reputation, but if you want to go to the UK afterwards the smartest move is to go to study there straight away. Otherwise I'd say that Copenhagen Business School is the smartest choice out of these, in case you cannot apply to the Stockholm School of Economics anymore (I'd say it's the best of them all)

ReputationRep:
    ok, thank you very much you are very helpful!
    I do not necessarily target for the UK, so I still keep both countries in mind and I will wait for the answers of the universities to decide.
    Thank you again, good luck with your applications too!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.