The Student Room Group

Solutions to do certain modules of degree after graduating with poor result

Hi, I finished with a 3rd from my law degree at my university. I graduated in 2015. I didn't fail any modules collectively, however in my Company Law modules I failed the coursework assessment with 0% and Commercial law Coursework with 35%. Due to this, it dragged me down to a third. It was due to extenuating circumstances, however this wasn't taken into account as it passed the deadline. That is just the background. My issue is what process can I take to 'retake' certain modules to place myself higher than a 3rd in my degree? Is there any university where I can use previous accreditation and just take certain modules again as I already have the credits to then make this LLB honours into a 2:2 or 2:1. I wouldn't want to do the entire third year again, not that I can at my university as I technically passed, I would like to resit modules which would help me with my degree classification. Also If this was the case, would this automatically boost up my mark to a 2:2 or would it be a separate degree in itself? Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sundeep525
Hi,

I finished with a 3rd from my law degree at my university. I graduated in 2015. I didn't fail any modules collectively, however in my Company Law modules I failed the coursework assessment with 0% and Commercial law Coursework with 35%. Due to this, it dragged me down to a third. It was due to extenuating circumstances, however this wasn't taken into account as it passed the deadline.

That is just the background. My issue is what process can I take to 'retake' certain modules to place myself higher than a 3rd in my degree? Is there any university where I can use previous accreditation and just take certain modules again as I already have the credits to then make this LLB honours into a 2:2 or 2:1.

I wouldn't want to do the entire third year again, not that I can at my university as I technically passed, I would like to resit modules which would help me with my degree classification. Also If this was the case, would this automatically boost up my mark to a 2:2 or would it be a separate degree in itself?

Thanks

If your extenuating circumstances were so serious its unfortunate you didnt let them know beforehand.

Unfortunately you will not be able to retake modules to raise your grade.

You coud redo the whole degree again as a senior degree i.e 2 years.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If your extenuating circumstances were so serious its unfortunate you didnt let them know beforehand.

Unfortunately you will not be able to retake modules to raise your grade.

You coud redo the whole degree again as a senior degree i.e 2 years.

However it would take 2 years full time, I cannot afford to do that, both time and money wise as I need to concentrate on my career.

What about if I do the LLB with Open university and use the previous accreditation as I already have the credits and same modules studied.
Therefore I would only study the certain modules as I need?
However it would take 2 years full time, I cannot afford to do that, both time and money wise as I need to concentrate on my career.

What about if I do the LLB with Open university and use the previous accreditation as I already have the credits and same modules studied.
Therefore I would only study the certain modules as I need?

Ask them, but i dont think so. Are you talking about a legal career?
Hi, I finished with a 3rd from my law degree at my university. I graduated in 2015. I didn't fail any modules collectively, however in my Company Law modules I failed the coursework assessment with 0% and Commercial law Coursework with 35%. Due to this, it dragged me down to a third. It was due to extenuating circumstances, however this wasn't taken into account as it passed the deadline. That is just the background. My issue is what process can I take to 'retake' certain modules to place myself higher than a 3rd in my degree? Is there any university where I can use previous accreditation and just take certain modules again as I already have the credits to then make this LLB honours into a 2:2 or 2:1. I wouldn't want to do the entire third year again, not that I can at my university as I technically passed, I would like to resit modules which would help me with my degree classification. Also If this was the case, would this automatically boost up my mark to a 2:2 or would it be a separate degree in itself? Thanks

What were the circumstances under which you received 0% for your Company law coursework?

You can't, once you have graduated from a degree it is a done deal. Have you looked at the GDL to see if you can get a fresh, new qualifying qualification? If you got stunning marks on that it might indicate to an employer that your degree grade was an outlier.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
You can't, once you have graduated from a degree it is a done deal. Have you looked at the GDL to see if you can get a fresh, new qualifying qualification? If you got stunning marks on that it might indicate to an employer that your degree grade was an outlier.

But surely I can't do the GDL if I have done the LLB right, as the GDL is to convert an undergraduate degree into a qualifying law degree, so if I have already done the LLB would they even allow me to do so?
But surely I can't do the GDL if I have done the LLB right, as the GDL is to convert an undergraduate degree into a qualifying law degree, so if I have already done the LLB would they even allow me to do so?

I suspect they would. It's a commercial course, not an academic one. You pay the money, you can do the course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I suspect they would. It's a commercial course, not an academic one. You pay the money, you can do the course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! It has lifted so much weight off of my shoulders!

So in the future if I do commence the GDL from my LLB, would my new GDL degree classification be my actual undergraduate and degree 'mark'?

For example, if I got a 2:1 in my GDL, would my undergraduate degree mark be a 2:1? or would it still be the 3rd classification?
Thank you so much! It has lifted so much weight off of my shoulders!

So in the future if I do commence the GDL from my LLB, would my new GDL degree classification be my actual undergraduate and degree 'mark'?

For example, if I got a 2:1 in my GDL, would my undergraduate degree mark be a 2:1? or would it still be the 3rd classification?

Nothing is ever going to change the fact you got a 3rd for your undergrad degree. You need to get over that.

The GDL is a qualification that may restart your opportunities in a career in law, but only if you do very well in it. If you only do adequately, then because so much of it will cover the same ground as your degree, it will add no value, because it's the second time you've studied the same work. You need to smash the GDL out of the park grade wise, or look for an alternative career. IIRC GDL is scored by a %.
Reply 10
Nothing is ever going to change the fact you got a 3rd for your undergrad degree. You need to get over that.

The GDL is a qualification that may restart your opportunities in a career in law, but only if you do very well in it. If you only do adequately, then because so much of it will cover the same ground as your degree, it will add no value, because it's the second time you've studied the same work. You need to smash the GDL out of the park grade wise, or look for an alternative career. IIRC GDL is scored by a %.

What does 'IIRC' mean and what do you mean by "IIRC GDL is scored by a %"?

So would a 2:1 be sufficient or is a first the only class that would make a difference?

Also, I am going to be doing my LPC soon, would it be okay and would it matter if I do my GDL after my LPC? There shouldn't be no problem and that wouldn't be frowned upon right?

Im just thinking, when law firms ask me why would I do the GDL if I had an LLB I don't know what my answer would be....
What does 'IIRC' mean and what do you mean by "IIRC GDL is scored by a %"?

So would a 2:1 be sufficient or is a first the only class that would make a difference?

Also, I am going to be doing my LPC soon, would it be okay and would it matter if I do my GDL after my LPC? There shouldn't be no problem and that wouldn't be frowned upon right?

Im just thinking, when law firms ask me why would I do the GDL if I had an LLB I don't know what my answer would be....

I think you have gotten confused.
The GDL will make no difference. It is not a degree.
Its the degree result they want.

Unless you have family contacts who can guarantee your TC, then I would not do the LPC. I especially wouldnt borrow money for it. Your only chance of resurrecting any legal career would be to do your degree again as suggested.

You dont really explain why you were given 0%. Did you not hand your work in? If so, then why didnt you ask for extra time?
Reply 12
I think you have gotten confused.
The GDL will make no difference. It is not a degree.
Its the degree result they want.

Unless you have family contacts who can guarantee your TC, then I would not do the LPC. I especially wouldnt borrow money for it. Your only chance of resurrecting any legal career would be to do your degree again as suggested.

You dont really explain why you were given 0%. Did you not hand your work in? If so, then why didnt you ask for extra time?

Someone above suggested the GDL so I presumed that it would help with my degree classification as you study the same modules.

Well If i do my degree again that would take 3 years, or even 2 years as a senior, which will cost a lot of time and money, something which I cannot afford to do as I need to work and cannot study for so many years full time.

If I do well in my LPC surely that would help me as a candidate and my search for a TC as that in itself show I'm bright academically?
Someone above suggested the GDL so I presumed that it would help with my degree classification as you study the same modules.

Well If i do my degree again that would take 3 years, or even 2 years as a senior, which will cost a lot of time and money, something which I cannot afford to do as I need to work and cannot study for so many years full time.

If I do well in my LPC surely that would help me as a candidate and my search for a TC as that in itself show I'm bright academically?

Imo no. I think its pretty pointless doing your LPC.(getting further into debt) Law is very competitive, they will be expecting a min 2:1. I dont believe you would get interviews. What were your scores in the other modules? You need to be realistic. You dont say the reason why they chose to give you 0%. Imo thats usually a no submission or worse.

I understand you might not be able to do a senior degree, but you need to be honest with yourself at just how difficult having a third is, especially for a legal career. The only way round it is either via contacts (you need very influential friends at equity partner level) or you would need to get distinctions on all your LPC, have very good extenuating circumstances and show why the rest of your degre marks were on for a good 2:1.

Go and talk to your careers advisor. Surely you must have known this
, whilst studying for your three years. The other way is to get into an organisation and work there for a number of years to get promoted in house and then up.

You keep talking about career and time. At the moment you barely have one, which is why if you still wnat to pursue it then you are talking a lot of time to put things right if you even can. Several years imo. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but employers arent sentimental.
Reply 14
Imo no. I think its pretty pointless doing your LPC.(getting further into debt) Law is very competitive, they will be expecting a min 2:1. I dont believe you would get interviews. What were your scores in the other modules? You need to be realistic. You dont say the reason why they chose to give you 0%. Imo thats usually a no submission or worse.

I understand you might not be able to do a senior degree, but you need to be honest with yourself at just how difficult having a third is, especially for a legal career. The only way round it is either via contacts (you need very influential friends at equity partner level) or you would need to get distinctions on all your LPC, have very good extenuating circumstances and show why the rest of your degre marks were on for a good 2:1.

Go and talk to your careers advisor. Surely you must have known this
, whilst studying for your three years. The other way is to get into an organisation and work there for a number of years to get promoted in house and then up.

You keep talking about career and time. At the moment you barely have one, which is why if you still wnat to pursue it then you are talking a lot of time to put things right if you even can. Several years imo. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but employers arent sentimental.

Thank you for your time and replies.
Reply 15
Mods please delete this thread, due to lack of anonymity. my mistake.
Thank you for your time and replies.

Sorry you are in such a situation and it gave me no pleasure to tell you. If you dont believe me then go and speak to careers tutors, HR departments and recruitment consultants. You will find for a TC you really need a good 2:1. It might seem drastic, but a senior degree is the fastest way to correct things, even then you would need to do very well. You need a good think on what you wish to do, go see your careers advisor.
Reply 17
Sorry you are in such a situation and it gave me no pleasure to tell you. If you dont believe me then go and speak to careers tutors, HR departments and recruitment consultants. You will find for a TC you really need a good 2:1. It might seem drastic, but a senior degree is the fastest way to correct things, even then you would need to do very well. You need a good think on what you wish to do, go see your careers advisor.

I fully believe you, I would rather the hard honest truth than ambitious hope.

Thanks
I fully believe you, I would rather the hard honest truth than ambitious hope.

Thanks

Ok, then you need to be realistic and think about your motivation, options and direction before spending any money. the LPC is going to be roughly another £20k of debt, the GDL is £20k of debt. Go and find soemthing interesting at entry level- non graduate+ take professional exams ( much cheaper) and work your way up. Once you have a good reputation and experience then degrees become much less important.

You dont say what your extenuating circs were, so impossible to spin them. You arent too old to do an apprenticeship tbh. Training and experience is what you need. You need a longer term plan over the next 3,5,10 years. Possible to recover, but you need to absorb the blow. There are many people even with 2:1s who do not get TC's.

Quick Reply

Latest