Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just applied to become a Medic in the RAF. I'm 21, female and determined to pass all the requirements and tests!! Fingers crossed... I have applied to 5 universities for a nursing degree but my heart is set on the RAF! One of my worries is if/when I decide to leave the RAF (hopefully I'll get in) what career opportunities does I actually have? From what I would experience in the RAF as a medic it still doesn't give me a degree to nurse in any hospital, doctors ect. Does anyone have any advice at all for me?? Anything at all??

Much appreciated xx
    • TSR Support Team

Moved into the Armed Forces section.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sophietx, I am currently undergoing my phase 2 to become a RAF medic. so fire any questions you may at me and ill try my best to answer them!

In terms of what the RAF medic gives you currently is the civilian recognised qualification AAP (ambulance technician, to eliminate all the fancy wording). So an Nursing degree is obviously considerably higher. However, progression is meant to be relatively easy to Paramedic (Is what we are currently hearing) but to bare in mind this will take time and you will have to perform well once passing your phase 2. Obviously this is a similar qualification, but both do very different jobs. Nurse = Wards or community nurses, mainly secondary to tertiary care. Paramedics = out in a primary health care setting dealing with all the gore and initial treatment. Very different jobs and both are pretty amazing to be involved in. But its really what you want to do.

If you want to do nursing, you can join the RAF directly and they will sponsor you through your degree. Check out:
    https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/r...t-nurse-adult/

NorthFace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NorthFace)
    Hi Sophietx, I am currently undergoing my phase 2 to become a RAF medic. so fire any questions you may at me and ill try my best to answer them!

In terms of what the RAF medic gives you currently is the civilian recognised qualification AAP (ambulance technician, to eliminate all the fancy wording). So an Nursing degree is obviously considerably higher. However, progression is meant to be relatively easy to Paramedic (Is what we are currently hearing) but to bare in mind this will take time and you will have to perform well once passing your phase 2. Obviously this is a similar qualification, but both do very different jobs. Nurse = Wards or community nurses, mainly secondary to tertiary care. Paramedics = out in a primary health care setting dealing with all the gore and initial treatment. Very different jobs and both are pretty amazing to be involved in. But its really what you want to do.

If you want to do nursing, you can join the RAF directly and they will sponsor you through your degree. Check out:
    https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/r...t-nurse-adult/

NorthFace
    Thanks so much for your reply!! I understand it is all time consuming. And I'm ready for that.... I love gore and initial treatment! That's really what I'm hoping for?? How are you finding phase 2??? I'm so determined to continue my fitness and and hopefully be successful in the role I want. How did u find the fitness tests? How did you find the 10 weeks at Halton? Also, what things are you doing daily in phase 2?? What's your daily rountine?

Thanks again

Sophie x

ReputationRep:
    you get up, you do PT, you square bash with the Navy and the Army, you sit in a class room being spoon fed A&P, Infectious disease, and treated like a 3 year old child. Do a nursing degree or Paramedic Science degree. The Military give you very little in the form of civilian qualifications.
    It does give you a very good grounding in primary healthcare. The only way you get civilian qualification is if you are lucky enough to get sponsored to do Nursing, Paramedic Science, or ODP course. The guinea pigs for Paramedic science were being put through Birmingham when I left the Military 10 years ago. The phase 2 training is tri-service, Phase 3 is single service, Phase 4 is single service.
    RAF Medics = Medical Administrators.
    Army Medics = Tent erectors and ambulance drivers.
    Navy Medics = Hospital and medical centre work.

ReputationRep:
    Is the training the same for all 3 services and are there opportunities to train towards becoming a paramedic?
    I'm stuck between applying for RN medical assistant and RAF medic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.