Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Kinda two questions in one -
    I'm hoping to go to uni next year to read History because I don't really know what I want to do in the future and it's a subject I both enjoy and am ok at. However I'm stuck on what uni's to look at; my grades are good but not Oxbridge good (I'm thinking I'll get AAB at Alevel) so does anyone know where is good but not overly hard to get into?

Also, I have to pick my year 12 work experience soon, which I want to do properly but being under 18 with no desired career I'm unsure what to do. What would look good applying to a uni with a History degree in mind?

Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anabelrobson)
    Hi,
    Kinda two questions in one -
    I'm hoping to go to uni next year to read History because I don't really know what I want to do in the future and it's a subject I both enjoy and am ok at. However I'm stuck on what uni's to look at; my grades are good but not Oxbridge good (I'm thinking I'll get AAB at Alevel) so does anyone know where is good but not overly hard to get into?

Also, I have to pick my year 12 work experience soon, which I want to do properly but being under 18 with no desired career I'm unsure what to do. What would look good applying to a uni with a History degree in mind?

Thanks
    Is this work experience compulsory? We never had to do work experience in year 12... How long is it for?

For History, there aren't many jobs DIRECTLY related to it so yes it's harder to find something. However, work in a museum, library or public archives might be interesting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Is this work experience compulsory? We never had to do work experience in year 12... How long is it for?

For History, there aren't many jobs DIRECTLY related to it so yes it's harder to find something. However, work in a museum, library or public archives might be interesting?
    it's not compulsory and its only a week but i don't really have much else to write about in my UCAS stuff
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    it's not compulsory and its only a week but i don't really have much else to write about in my UCAS stuff
    Some ideas for writing in your personal statement:
    - Extra reading (particularly relevant for humanities courses - look online at the recommended reading lists published by universities)
    - Summer schools (UNIQ, Sutton Trust, etc. run some relevant ones for free, or just google "history summer school")
    - Taster days (I'd particularly recommend the University of London taster days, they run roughly throughout the year, but most are coming up in spring)
    - Competitions (there are quite a few essay competitions, e.g. the Peterhouse essay competition where you write a short essay on a topic)
    - Extended Project Qualification (if your school offers it, highly recommend!)
    - Writing a blog about interesting topics in history (you can start one for free using wordpress.com, blogger.com, etc.)
    - Work experience (perhaps less relevant for history, see suggestions in previous post )
    - Free online courses (MOOCs - lots available on platforms like FutureLearn, EdX, Coursera, etc.)
    - Going to/ setting up a school History Extension Club or similar

lots of options
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    On top of the above list
    - watching/listening to documentaries (BBC4, channel 4 and radio 4 are excellent for this) on various historical topics
    - join your local history club/society organisation
    - visit museums/national trust/similar properties
    - research university course content thoroughly - applying to a course with no ancient history with a PS talking about your passion for ancient history is a big nono....and finding out about different course content might inspire you to do other research and reading outside your curriculum.
    - research your family history.
    - look at very recent history - compare your recollection of recent events to the published reports and the "historical narrative" that becomes the most repeated.
    - online lectures, free public lectures, itunesU lectures...even TED talks that address themes or issues you've looked at historically.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.