Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Herpes from oral sex? (cold sore) please help! Watch

Guys,

I was messing around with my girlfriend yesterday but didn't want to kiss her as I had a cold sore. I ended up going down on her for a couple minutes. Yes I know it was stupid and probably worse but I only found out the next day it's possible to contract genital herpes from oral sex with a cold sore, even if I don't have genital herpes myself.

I am absolutely bricking it shes never had a cold sore or any type of herpes so her immunity will be low so why do I feel like its bound to happen? Is there anything we can do to prevent it now before anything happens? Yes nothing might happen but is there anything that you can take or be injected with to prevent/lower chances? I'm sorry I'm so clueless about this but really need some advice.

Love her to bits and would hate myself if I give her herpes I just don't know what to do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Guys,

I was messing around with my girlfriend yesterday but didn't want to kiss her as I had a cold sore. I ended up going down on her for a couple minutes. Yes I know it was stupid and probably worse but I only found out the next day it's possible to contract genital herpes from oral sex with a cold sore, even if I don't have genital herpes myself.

I am absolutely bricking it shes never had a cold sore or any type of herpes so her immunity will be low so why do I feel like its bound to happen? Is there anything we can do to prevent it now before anything happens? Yes nothing might happen but is there anything that you can take or be injected with to prevent/lower chances? I'm sorry I'm so clueless about this but really need some advice.

Love her to bits and would hate myself if I give her herpes I just don't know what to do.
    Maybe ask a pharmacist, but I don't think there's anything you could do. Maybe just wash the area thoroughly anyway though- can't hurt.
    If you/ she are worried about it or notice anything suspicious she can go to a sexual health clinic. You might as well make a thing of it and both get tested while you're at it. It's always good to have peace of mind and if she has to go it could make her feel better you getting tested too.

Honestly, it's not a big deal though. It's something you would want to avoid, but it's not super dangerous and you didn't do anything that stupid to beat yourself up over- just a little mistake. If she does get it she will be fine so try to stay calm.

ReputationRep:
    well done your so considerate to expose your girlfriend to herpes read and ponder what your careless act could cause. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_simplex
    Almost all cases of cervical cancer are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It’s a very common virus and often spreads during sex. A lot of types of HPV are harmless, but some can damage cells in the cervix and eventually cause cancer if they’re not treated. Since 2008, girls aged 12-13 in the UK have been offered vaccination against HPV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbarlow)
    well done your so considerate to expose your girlfriend to herpes read and ponder what your careless act could cause. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_simplex
    Almost all cases of cervical cancer are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It’s a very common virus and often spreads during sex. A lot of types of HPV are harmless, but some can damage cells in the cervix and eventually cause cancer if they’re not treated. Since 2008, girls aged 12-13 in the UK have been offered vaccination against HPV.
    ok that's a little harsh, feel like I should shed some light on this..

HPV is not a herpesvirus, it is a papillomavirus. The cold sore will not be caused by a papillomavirus so let's not worry OP unnecessarily.

OP, I wouldn't worry - cold sores are caused by Herpes simplex virus (HSV) type 1. Genital herpes are caused by a distinct member of the family, HSV-2. If anything develops it can't hurt to check it out, but please do not stress as oral 'herpes'/cold sores and genital herpes are not caused by the same virus - you will not have caused her to get genital herpes from your cold sore.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.