Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

The third year of my four-year degree programme is a year abroad (compulsory). I understand that there's a special 'study abroad rate', which is higher than the usual maintenance loan. I have applied to study in the US, and I'm panicking a little bit about finance. I usually get about £6,000 in maintenance loans/grants each year. Will Student Finance Wales take into account the enormous change in the exchange rate since the EU referendum? Whereas in the past a student receiving (for example) £6,500 for their study abroad year would have had circa $10,000-11,000, the same amount is now only equivalent to about $7,800, which won't be enough to cover the cost of the year.

Will this be taken into account by Student Finance Wales, and higher loans awarded? If not, how are students expected to fund their study abroad years (particularly in cases like mine, where it's compulsory)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorrier)
    Hi!

The third year of my four-year degree programme is a year abroad (compulsory). I understand that there's a special 'study abroad rate', which is higher than the usual maintenance loan. I have applied to study in the US, and I'm panicking a little bit about finance. I usually get about £6,000 in maintenance loans/grants each year. Will Student Finance Wales take into account the enormous change in the exchange rate since the EU referendum? Whereas in the past a student receiving (for example) £6,500 for their study abroad year would have had circa $10,000-11,000, the same amount is now only equivalent to about $7,800, which won't be enough to cover the cost of the year.

Will this be taken into account by Student Finance Wales, and higher loans awarded? If not, how are students expected to fund their study abroad years (particularly in cases like mine, where it's compulsory)?
    If i'm being honest I don't think they'll take it into account. They could give you like 10 grand (to make up the difference) then the exchange rate could go back up and you've ended up with way more money..Because the exchange rate fluctuates it's very likely they'll just stick with what it is now..

According to the SFW page the maximum they'll give for study abroad is £7,372.. but still dependent on household income.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.