Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need some help with my EPQ primary research, as it is an important step into gaining the full marks, this could make the difference from me going to uni or selling ice cream in the road. Okay, not really, but it would be VERY helpful and much APPRECIATED if you could please complete these questions. Thank you

What is your Title?*
    What do you classify yourself as?*

****** Muslim******* Jewish***** **** Protestant****** Catholic****** Hindu****** Agnostic******* Atheist*

Do you believe in God?*

***** Yes************ No**
    "God created us in his image, so we should not alter our genome." Comment on this statement**
    Do you know what genetic engineering is?*Please give a full definition of the term.*
    An unborn child has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. In the near future, if this was found at an early stage, the embryo could undergo a life changing treatment, this would be consdered to be Genetic Engineering (GE).* Do you think its justifiable to use GE to improve quality life? Comment of this statement.*
    Do you think a near future could be at risk if GE is developed further.*If so, how?*
    Do you believe life starts at the moment of conception*?*
    *Yes / No*
    Do you think religion and science can coexist*?*
    Yes/ No*
    Do you think it is safe to eat GMO crops? **
    Yes /No*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aco1999)
    I need some help with my EPQ primary research, as it is an important step into gaining the full marks, this could make the difference from me going to uni or selling ice cream in the road. Okay, not really, but it would be VERY helpful and much APPRECIATED if you could please complete these questions. Thank you

What is your Title?*

****** Muslim******* Jewish***** **** Protestant****** Catholic****** Hindu****** Agnostic******* Atheist*

Do you believe in God?*

"God created us in his image, so we shouldnt alter our genome." Comment on this statement**
    Do you know what genetic engineering is?*Please give a full definition of the term.*
    An unborn child has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. In the near future, if this was found at an early stage, the embryo could undergo a life changing treatment, this would be consdered to be Genetic Engineering (GE).* Do you think its justificable to use GE to improve quality life? Comment of this statement.*
    Do you thick a near future could be at risk if GE is developed further.*If so, how?*
    Do you believe life stats at the moment of conception*?*
    *Yes / No*
    Wat do you think religion and science can coexist*?*
    Yes/ No*
    Do*you think its safe to eat GMO crops? **
    Yes /No*
    1. Dr lol jk im just a student
    2. Muslim
    3. Yasssss
    4. I believe this statement to a certain degree. God did create us in his image so I believe that we shouldn't alter our physical appearance. However, there are times where it is justifiable so I think that it should only be used in circumstances where it is highly necessary.

5. The modification of an organism by manipulating the genetic material. ( I googled this so I wouldn't look dumb :P)

6. I think that genetic engineering should only be used in a life or death situation. This is because, many children with disabilities like downs syndrome live a good quality of life. Just because they are unable to do certain things that a regular child can do, they can still do most things. And also there are many charities and centres that can help with children with disabilities and help them to live life to the fullest. I strongly believe in God so I believe that it was in Gods's plan for a child to have a disability so to alter the child's genome is to play with God's plan.

7. Yes because say for example all children who were to be born with down syndrome were to have their DNA modified, then it could be fatal in the future if a disease comes and wipes out all those with the new gene. Also, there is the fear of designer babies becoming much more prominent which goes back to my point of if a new disease was to come around targeting for example people with blue eyes, most of the population would be wiped out. It also interferes with natural selection.

8.No. I think that at conception it is just a bunch of cells that have no feelings. In my opinion, life begins as soon as signs of a fetus begin to develop.

9. Yes. Because science doesn't disprove God, it only shows that everything is caused by something and most theories have no proof of a cause. Take the big bang for example, the cause has not yet been scientifically proven so until then, it shows that there must be a omnipotent being, God.

10. Yes or they wouldn't be so widely produced and sold. Also, it has lots of benefits such as golden rice which is high in vitamin A and is good for those with vitamin deficiencies, particularly in rural countries such as African and India.

Hope this helps. And if A levels doesnt work out for you then just leave me your details and I will support you by buying the ice cream you would be selling

ReputationRep:

What is your Title?*

Do you believe in God?*

"God created us in his image, so we should not alter our genome." Comment on this statement**
    An unborn child has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. In the near future, if this was found at an early stage, the embryo could undergo a life changing treatment, this would be consdered to be Genetic Engineering (GE).* Do you think its justifiable to use GE to improve quality life? Comment of this statement.*
    Do you think a near future could be at risk if GE is developed further.*If so, how?*
    *Yes / No*
    Yes/ No*
    Yes /No*
    1. Miss
    2. Atheist
    3. No
    4. I don't believe in God, so I don't agree with the statement. I would argue that even if you believed that God created us, he also gave us the ability to alter our genome.
    5. I believe so. It is when we alter the DNA in cells to great an organism which has specific characteristics.
    6. Yes. Whilst there is a spectrum with Down's syndrome, I'm sure that any parent would rather their child could have the most 'normal' life possible.
    7. I don't think that the near future will be changed drastically. There are already huge restrictions on GE and it would take a large shift in public opinion to allow human GE on a wide scale.
    8. Depends on what you determine to be 'life'. This
    9. Yes
    10. Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    1. Miss
    2. Atheist
    3. No
    4. I don't believe in God, so I don't agree with the statement. I would argue that even if you believed that God created us, he also gave us the ability to alter our genome.
    5. I believe so. It is when we alter the DNA in cells to great an organism which has specific characteristics.
    6. Yes. Whilst there is a spectrum with Down's syndrome, I'm sure that any parent would rather their child could have the most 'normal' life possible.
    7. I don't think that the near future will be changed drastically. There are already huge restrictions on GE and it would take a large shift in public opinion to allow human GE on a wide scale.
    8. Depends on what you determine to be 'life'. This
    9. Yes
    10. Yes
    Thank you very much, now I wont work as a ice cream driver

ReputationRep:

What is your Title?*
    *Student

****** Muslim********* Jewish***** **** Protestant****** Catholic****** Hindu****** Agnostic******* Atheist*

Do you believe in God?*

*Completely agree, this life is a gift from him
    *Yes, it where you modify the characteristics of an organism
    An unborn child has been diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. In the near future, if this was found at an early stage, the embryo could undergo a life changing treatment, this would be considered to be Genetic Engineering (GE).* Do you think its justifiable to use GE to improve quality life? Comment of this statement.*
    *No completely disagree
    *No one has the right to play God
    *Yes completely
    *Scientists may start modifying humans
    *Yes / No*
    Yes/ No*
    Yes /No*
    Would appreciate if you help me with my EPQ

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.