Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'I currently on a foundation course at a drama school, but I'm really not enjoying it and the course is not what I expected at all. I really don't think it's helping improve my acting at all, in fact, I think it's gotten worse because I'm not enjoying it. Also it's very hard to practice well in student halls at the university so my monologues for this year are suffering too. I really can't decide whether to leave and go get life experience, and carry on with the part time course I was doing previously which I feel was helping more, or whether that would make drama schools turn me away for being a drop out? What do people think about dropping out of one drama school and applying for others?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, there is no right or wrong answer. I think you should just follow your heart and do what you think would be best for you, if you're not gaining anything from the course there is no point staying on it and you're 18 so I would say yes to gaining more life experience and just living for a while whilst you audition and go back to doing the part time course. Don't let this idea of drama schools turning you away because you've dropped out stop you because I promise that won't be the case, they want you not the you that's doing a course you don't enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, and yeah I agree, it seems to be such a personal thing. I'll probably stick it out because I do think there are great benefits to the course and sometimes I feel like I'm learning a lot, but sometimes I feel like I would have more chance getting a BA place from home because here, it's so hard to relax and practice living in communal halls, there is no privacy at all really. It feels like an impossible situation!

ReputationRep:
    I fully understand that, it might just be getting used to the instensity of the course is taking awhile? But I've been offered a place on the BA Acting at East15 but I'm not a fan of the school I know I wouldn't enjoy even though it's a good training. Don't be scared to say no just because of the benefits of the course!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, I think the problem is that I don't fit in with the style and people of this school. It's East 15 I'm at and I think it's great for some people but a very certain kind of person. The school doesn't suit me at all, I think I need a stricter, more classical school which is what I'm applying for this year. And yeah if you think you won't enjoy it, don't go, from my experience East 15 is for a very certain kind of person and if like me you want strict discipline and classical training, it is totally the wrong place. I'll probably stay because so far I've gotten recalls for my favourite schools and as it's only a short course it won't take up too much of my time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.