Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently teaching in Europe but considering returning to the UK in the future, for which I'll probably need a PGCE and therefore a C in Maths (I currently only have a D). Thus I'm looking into re-taking the exam & just wondered if anyone has done this before & what the logistics of it are (particularly from abroad). I don't need a teacher or evening class (my boyfriend is a scientist so he's going to help me with the revision) but I do not an exam centre in order to sit the papers.

From what I could work out online, you have to convince a UK school to take you on as an external candidate. Is this generally fairly straightforward or have you found it hard to convince a school to allow you to sit the paper with them? Are there any other routes for adult candidates?

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Supernova*)
    I'm currently teaching in Europe but considering returning to the UK in the future, for which I'll probably need a PGCE and therefore a C in Maths (I currently only have a D). Thus I'm looking into re-taking the exam & just wondered if anyone has done this before & what the logistics of it are (particularly from abroad). I don't need a teacher or evening class (my boyfriend is a scientist so he's going to help me with the revision) but I do not an exam centre in order to sit the papers.

From what I could work out online, you have to convince a UK school to take you on as an external candidate. Is this generally fairly straightforward or have you found it hard to convince a school to allow you to sit the paper with them? Are there any other routes for adult candidates?

Thanks!
    The following centres may accept private candidates for AQA GCSE Maths. The last opportunity to sit the GCSE you are familiar with is this summer. After that, you will need to study for the more difficult reformed 9-1 qualification.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...ool-or-college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    The following centres may accept private candidates for AQA GCSE Maths. The last opportunity to sit the GCSE you are familiar with is this summer. After that, you will need to study for the more difficult reformed 9-1 qualification.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...ool-or-college
    Oh my gosh thank you, I didn't realise the curriculum was changing. Last chance saloon! Do AQA GCSEs still include compulsory coursework?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh thank you, I didn't realise the curriculum was changing. Last chance saloon! Do AQA GCSEs still include compulsory coursework?
    Coursework was abolished some years ago. The specification that is about to end is already a bit different from the one you studied previously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Coursework was abolished some years ago. The specification that is about to end is already a bit different from the one you studied previously.
    OK great, thank you for the info. I feel old, ha!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    OK great, thank you for the info. I feel old, ha!
    You're not old. I predate the invention of the GCSE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You're not old. I predate the invention of the GCSE!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.