Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks. In short, I was rejected from Oxford this year for Maths and Computer Science, and I'm considering reapplying next year.

I have an unconditional offer from a Scottish university to begin in first year (Scottish courses are a year longer, so 1st year in Oxford would roughly be 2nd year at this university), for Maths and Computer Science (and you take another subject in first year - this is decided just before you start, but if I can I'll hopefully take Statistics), and I'm planning to take it (gap years aren't the best idea for maths). However, I feel that the course at Oxford (particularly on the Computer Science side) is considerably better suited to my interests in the subject. (I should add that I'd still be happy to go to the Scottish university regardless). My decision on whether or not to reapply would mainly be based on the feedback I recieve from Oxford, particularly the MAT score (I feel I did well, but perhaps I did worse than I thought?) and the interviews - I'd only consider a reapplication if earning a place would be feasible

So I've got a few questions regarding the process, from those who have done it before, or those who would know more about the process (such as BrasenoseAdm ):

* Is your application treated differently from someone who's in their last year of school (or someone who's taken a year out)?
    * I understand that your own institution would need to "release" you before the application would be accepted. In your experience, are instititions quite willing to do this, or is it something that's generally quite difficult?
    * In terms of your reference, I understand that it's generally preferred that it comes from a member of academic staff at university. Would I be disadvantaged if, for whatever reason, I couldn't get a reference from them and had to get a reference from a teacher at my old school or something like that?
    * Based on the information I have so far (the university exam period, and the interview timetables), the time for attending interviews would likely clash with exams at the university (a number of Scottish universities have exams in December as well as in May/June). For anyone who has experience with this, how flexible are other universities/Oxford in regards to working with you on this? For example, do universities generally understand and let you resit, does Oxford allow you to have interviews via Skype or something along those lines
    (I understand that generally this isn't allowed with UK applicants)
    , or would I basically be out of luck?

I understand that quite a bit of this information varies depending on which university you're talking about, but any help that's available would be great, If I was going to reapply, I'd want to do so with the knowledge that an application wouldn't endanger my time at another institution (e.g needing to skip exams without permission to attend interviews).

ReputationRep:
    Heya! Friend of mine "reapplied" (although e rejected them the first time around so bit different haha) and talked about it so I can be of some assistance.

* Is your application treated differently from someone who's in their last year of school (or someone who's taken a year out)?

No, except perhaps that they would be expecting a slightly higher level at interview than someone who had only done AS. If you're a re-applicant the likelihood is that the reason you were unsuccessful last time will come up when the team are discussion admissions decision, but each application is on its own merits and you're treated as a 'clean slate' as it were. Just don't apply to the same college (and don't do open as there is the possibility of getting pooled to the same one).

* I understand that your own institution would need to "release" you before the application would be accepted. In your experience, are instititions quite willing to do this, or is it something that's generally quite difficult?

Generally, yes, it's relatively easy to do. Universities are places of higher education and yes while they do want you studying there and they do want your money, it's your choice at the end of the day and they can't keep you hostage. A fair amount of people drop out for reasons not related to university reapplication eg illness, boredom, wrong course etc and most of these are free to do so.

* In terms of your reference, I understand that it's generally preferred that it comes from a member of academic staff at university. Would I be disadvantaged if, for whatever reason, I couldn't get a reference from them and had to get a reference from a teacher at my old school or something like that?

It is preferred, but let's be honest they'll only have known you for a month at best. A teacher's reference won't disadvantage you at all - they know that the teacher will know you better than the professors at your uni.

* Based on the information I have so far (the university exam period, and the interview timetables), the time for attending interviews would likely clash with exams at the university (a number of Scottish universities have exams in December as well as in May/June). For anyone who has experience with this, how flexible are other universities/Oxford in regards to working with you on this? For example, do universities generally understand and let you resit, does Oxford allow you to have interviews via Skype or something along those lines? Or would I basically be out of luck?

Not entirely sure but my friend was at a Scottish uni and never seemed to complain or have any issue with it. Other universities are more tolerant of re-sits than Oxford/Cam (who don't really do them at all). Oxford wouldn't allow you to have interviews via Skype if you were a UK applicant. Bear in mind that the interview period is 2-3 days (unless maths is different?) so it's not as if you would be MIA for a week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.