Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My Boyfriend Doesn't Want Me To Go To University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months and we hardly argue and love each other a lot. He is 20 with a full time job and I am 18 now applying for uni (he didn't go). I have applied at a few places far away and one local, and I have been offered an interview at one of the further ones for a scholarship too. My boyfriend is convinced that I am going to the local one so we can stay together, he gets so angry when I mention any of the others. I obviously love him and don't want to break up but do I miss out on them possible oppurtunities? I am getting so upset and confused about all of this, help please
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by emilymeghan)
    I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months and we hardly argue and love each other a lot. He is 20 with a full time job and I am 18 now applying for uni (he didn't go). I have applied at a few places far away and one local, and I have been offered an interview at one of the further ones for a scholarship too. My boyfriend is convinced that I am going to the local one so we can stay together, he gets so angry when I mention any of the others. I obviously love him and don't want to break up but do I miss out on them possible oppurtunities? I am getting so upset and confused about all of this, help please
    He is your boyfriend, he should support you and right now, he's doing anything but that. It's your future, you shouldn't let him dictate it. If he loved you, he'd stay with you no matter what, local or far.

ReputationRep:
    Your future and what you want out of your education is more important than a person you've only been dating for six months. He should be supporting you; not trying to control your decisions. Do what's best for you and if he can't stick with you through it then he wasn't good enough for you.

I've been with my partner two years. I've run my plans by him and he's given me feedback, but I would never let him make my education decisions for me.

ReputationRep:
    No offence, but who cares what he thinks? Flash forward a few years and he might not even be your boyfriend anymore and you've just wasted a GREAT opportunity which will impact your life. Plus, if he was a loving boyfriend he should support you not get angry.

ReputationRep:
    what the others said ^^^^

ReputationRep:
    Are you willing to compromise on your entire future due to the decision you make over a 6 month relationship.

If he really loved you he would support your decision and make the effort to keep the fire of the relationship alive

ReputationRep:
    Your boyfriend can **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    He is your boyfriend, he should support you and right now, he's doing anything but that. It's your future, you shouldn't let him dictate it. If he loved you, he'd stay with you no matter what, local or far.
    lol. Love it
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's your decision, not his. Don't let anyone force you to do something that will affect your future.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You've been dating him for six months, who knows whether the relationship will stand the test of time? Your education will, however. Do what is best for you.

ReputationRep:
    If he's not accepting of your choice to go to uni further away then he's not for you, no matter how hard it sounds. Distance shouldn't matter because you should be able to make it work regardless

No offence but I cannot believe you even started this thread. How are you even considering or contemplating about the idea of going or not going because your boyfriend is against it? Lmao may god help you

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, what would be worse 'I didn't go to the university I went to, a pretty much once in a lifetime event going at that age' or 'at least I stayed with him for another few years'. If you're 'meant to be' (not sure how much you believe in that) then he'd support you and try to make things worse however he could.

Rachel kept her job and dumped Ross on friends, they had rough times but remained friends and got together in the final season. Although she turned down a job in Paris to be with him at the end of the season... scrap that analogy. Plus you probably don't watch friends.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll be with him for time to come but there is also a chance you won't be and imo I don't think risking one of the unis further away is worth it. If the closer uni is just as good or better and you want to go there (for reasons not relating to your bf) then great, go for it! But even if it's the smallest of feelings that you want to go to a uni further away from home I'd grab the opportunity with both hands.

Sorry if it sounded sarcastic at the start xD, all the best!

ReputationRep:
    It's your life. You should never let someone else make decisions as important as this for you, especially someone you've only been in a relationship with for six months. Chances are you won't be together for your whole life, and think about how you'll feel knowing that you've thrown away a chance you wanted to take for him. If university is the route you want to take, then don't let him stop you. If he loves you then he will want you to do what is best for you and what will make you happy

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doubting your relationship and how much you love each other. But you've only been together six months, you still need to focus on you and what you want to achieve in the future. If he's the right guy for you, then he will support you no matter what. I thought me and my ex would survive uni but I realised he met so many new people that it is hard to keep a relationship going! Worry about you and whatever happens, happens!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Are you willing to compromise on your entire future due to the decision you make over a 6 month relationship.

If he really loved you he would support your decision and make the effort to keep the fire of the relationship alive
    Omg you can be serious sometimes!

(Completely agree btw)

ReputationRep:
    so just because you've been with him for 6 months, it doesn't mean its guaranteed that you'll be with him for the rest of your life
    so my point is, if you do what he says and you reject all the good offers, and you end up going to a uni thats not as good as the uni you've wanted to go to; imagine he dumps you a little while after that. You would regret it

My advice would be, go to a university that you really want to go to, if he breaks up with you just because of that then leave it, better off without him

your choice at the end of the day, hope this helped
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by emilymeghan)
    Put yourself first, go to the University that suits you. If he don't like it then he is not the guy for you. If he was decent he would support you no matter what and make the effort to see you. Your education and needs come first, you cannot let him dictate your life like that.

ReputationRep:
    Not surprised. It's a sausage fest.

ReputationRep:
    Do what makes you happy!!! Your life has to circulate around yourself, not him. If he is so negative regarding you progressing, he may not be right for you. Good luck x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.