Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Boyfriend Doesn't Want Me To Go To University Watch

ReputationRep:
    you have to understand his position, if he loves you, obviously he doesnt want you to move far away to attend uni...it will mean less time together and probably he will suffer with your absence. its really up to you.. if those universities far away are much better for your future and much more important than your actual relationship which may not even last forever go ahead, if you really love him try to stay locally so you can conciliate your studies and your relationship. I also have to mention that having a boyfriend which doesnt even study will interfere a lot with your performance at uni because he is a distraction and relationships have bad moments as well, in these you will find hard to concentrate on your studies. Plus, he wont understand your life and that you have to spend a lot of time studying. I know what im talking about because ive been there, much better to be in university single to be able to focus entirely on it and avoid heartbreaks
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by emilymeghan)
    I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months and we hardly argue and love each other a lot. He is 20 with a full time job and I am 18 now applying for uni (he didn't go). I have applied at a few places far away and one local, and I have been offered an interview at one of the further ones for a scholarship too. My boyfriend is convinced that I am going to the local one so we can stay together, he gets so angry when I mention any of the others. I obviously love him and don't want to break up but do I miss out on them possible oppurtunities? I am getting so upset and confused about all of this, help please
    It seems he wont be happy unless you do what he wants. Just go to the interview as you havent even been offered a place yet. You can make the decision later.

You are only likely to go to Uni once. You will have several bfs. Ho to the best uni for you. If he doesnt understand that and support you then he isnt the right person. I understand why he doesnt want you to go but its a bit selfish.

ReputationRep:
    What's going to stay with you longer, your degree or your boyfriend? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So you've only been seeing him for 6 months - the honeymoon period - and already he's trying to blackmail you emotionally and trying to pressurise you into doing what he wants. Can you imagine what he'll be like if you give in to him and stay nearby? It will only encourage him to think that he can bully you into doing what he wants for ever.

This reaction of his, is a true red flag. Don't naively think that it shows how much he loves you - for the opposite is really the case. He is selfish and manipulative. If you stay with him sooner or later you will come to resent him and he will try to control your every move. Worse it may well escalate into violence.

Imagine yourself married to this man. However controlling he is now he will be ten fold more controlling once you are married and you are 'his property'. Can you imagine what sort of husband, father he'll make? He'll make you and your children's lives a misery. If you can't tear yourself away for your own sake do it for your future children's.

Run, run, run.

ReputationRep:
    Education is for life, not just for six months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilymeghan)
    I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months and we hardly argue and love each other a lot. He is 20 with a full time job and I am 18 now applying for uni (he didn't go). I have applied at a few places far away and one local, and I have been offered an interview at one of the further ones for a scholarship too. My boyfriend is convinced that I am going to the local one so we can stay together, he gets so angry when I mention any of the others. I obviously love him and don't want to break up but do I miss out on them possible oppurtunities? I am getting so upset and confused about all of this, help please
    dump him safe

ReputationRep:
    18 is too young in my personal opinion on focusing on whether your relationship will stand the test of time. But your education is important and it could greatly impact your future life and career. It's always better to learn while you're young and while you can than regretting about the missed opportunities. If your boyfriend really does care about you, he'd understand and long-distance relationships do work

ReputationRep:
    In the event that you do take the scholarship, your boyfriend could consider moving with you if you were unable to make the journey to see each other in a long distance relationship.
    If you haven't lived together yet, my advice would be not to risk your education because he doesn't see the worth in it.
    Good Luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP do you really want this level of control and coercion in your life ?
    • TSR Support Team

I really hope the OP tells her boyfriend where to shove it with his attitude.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.