Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1101 – Incest Decriminalisation Bill 2017 (Second Reading) Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    B1101 – Incest Decriminalisation Bill 2017 (Second Reading), ByronicHero (seconded by joecphillips MP)
    Incest Decriminalisation Bill 2017

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Incest

(1) For the purposes of this bill, incest is defined as sex, whether heterosexual or homosexual, between a person of at least 21 years of age and their parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, sibling, half-sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece, who are also age 21 or above.
    (2) Such actions are no longer an offence.

2, Awareness

(1) Upon commencement, every household in the United Kingdom is sent an information pack outlining the change in the law, the complications that can arise from procreation with biological family members, and details of how people can locally access contraception and abortion support. Additionally, this information is made available online; a dedicated website is created and maintained which includes detailed information about who people should contact if they are experiencing abuse or sexual coercion.

2. Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This may be cited as the Incest Decriminalisation Act 2017
    (2) This act shall extend to England; and
    (3) Shall come into force immediately following Royal Assent; and
    (4) Shall be provided to the Welsh Assembly Government for their consideration; and
    (5) Subject to changes made by the National Assembly for Wales; and
    (6) Subject to an affirmative vote shall come into force immediately following Royal Assent.

Notes
    Costing:

I will pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    The cost of such packs may be startling. Also, some of the points that arose in the first proposal haven't been considered here.

If anything you've made the bill less acceptable.

edit - Nice that you're paying for it but the second point still stands
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    The cost of such packs may be startling. Also, some of the points that arose in the first proposal haven't been considered here.

If anything you've made the bill less acceptable.
    The cost of such packs would not be "startling" to anyone who does not have a medical or mental health condition which predisposes them to unwarranted startling. The cost has been covered by my personal philanthropy. You should thank me.

I have addressed the points I committed to addressing. I never said I was going to concede to every criticism because I considered many of them irrelevant. If you are expecting me now, or in the future, to concede every point on which Libertarian legislation is challenged I'm afraid that expectation will be unfulfilled.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    The cost of such packs would not be "startling" to anyone who does not have a medical or mental health condition which predisposes them to unwarranted startling. The cost has been covered by my personal philanthropy. You should thank me.

I have addressed the points I committed to addressing. I never said I was going to concede to every criticism because I considered many of them irrelevant. If you are expecting me now, or in the future, to concede every point on which Libertarian legislation is challenged I'm afraid that expectation will be unfulfilled.
    PRSOM
    I will be voting aye on this bill without uncertainty now. People at the age of 21 are more than mature enough to be making their own decisions, and the price of this pack is a price that you'll have to stomach if you dont want to deal with paying for a disabled babies who are a product of incest.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    PRSOM
    I will be voting aye on this bill without uncertainty now. People at the age of 21 are more than mature enough to be making their own decisions, and the price of this pack is a price that you'll have to stomach if you dont want to deal with paying for a disabled babies who are a product of incest.
    Glad to have your support! Yes, I have offered to pay for these packs to ensure that nobody can take issue with the extra cost
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Abstain - Changed my mind.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to send an information pack to every household, I don't think you alone will be able to foot the cost.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

hahahaha broke my MHoC hiatus to comment on this:

I really don't see how you alone can foot the cost of this bill :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind some actual costings, even if you are financing it
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Considerably better.

A government website dedicated to incest? I'm sure www.incest.gov.uk would be a blast but I'd think a section on the NHS website would suffice.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    If you're going to send an information pack to every household, I don't think you alone will be able to foot the cost.
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    hahahaha broke my MHoC hiatus to comment on this:

I really don't see how you alone can foot the cost of this bill :rofl:
    I am backed by an ethical investment group who wish to see this bill pass. Please judge it on its merits and trust that I have the cost covered.

(Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I wouldn't mind some actual costings, even if you are financing it
    Well ~£10m was spend sending all of the Brexit leaflets. I know a guy who owns a cornershop who can probably print them cheaper for me though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I am backed by an ethical investment group who wish to see this bill pass. Please judge it on its merits and trust that I have the cost covered.
    Um. Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain now.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Considerably better.

A government website dedicated to incest? I'm sure www.incest.gov.uk would be a blast but I'd think a section on the NHS website would suffice.
    Fine with me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Fine with me.
    Tbh I'm not sure about this huge campaign. I think the risks are known and whilst we could and should do more to inform people if this bill passes I am concerned about normalisation.

ReputationRep:
    As long as no one gets pregnant and the sex is purely for pleasure, I'm moderately sure I see no objection o.o
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I'm not sure about this huge campaign. I think the risks are known and whilst we could and should do more to inform people if this bill passes I am concerned about normalisation.
    I agree it isn't necessary; I had hoped that this mass awareness campaign would help placate some of the people who were soft nays because they assumed people would suddenly start impregnating their sisters all over the place. I think that assumption is flawed, and hoped this might win a few votes.

This said, I think that this would open a dialogue dominated by people making all of the usual arguments against incest in general. I think it is very unlikely that the outcome will be to normalise anything.

This said, if this is sufficient call to remove that part I will remove it. It is at most a tertiary concern for me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I agree it isn't necessary; I had hoped that this mass awareness campaign would help placate some of the people who were soft nays because they assumed people would suddenly start impregnating their sisters all over the place. I think that assumption is flawed, and hoped this might win a few votes.

This said, I think that this would open a dialogue dominated by people making all of the usual arguments against incest in general. I think it is very unlikely that the outcome will be to normalise anything.

This said, if this is sufficient call to remove that part I will remove it. It is at most a tertiary concern for me.
    I do not thing that the law with regards to incest is really what's holding people back - I think disgust is the thing that is holding most people back, so no, I don't think this bill will mean "people would suddenly start impregnating their sisters all over the place". Potentially a very small increase, the sort that would not be noticed.

Perhaps the information pack can be focused on sexual health more broadly, including a part on the ramifications of incestuous relationships. Post-legalisation it would not seem so strange to have to mention this in sex ed. :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Considerably better.

lol'd

Still a nay from me though, sorry!
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I do not thing that the law with regards to incest is really what's holding people back - I think disgust is the thing that is holding most people back, so no, I don't think this bill will mean "people would suddenly start impregnating their sisters all over the place". Potentially a very small increase, the sort that would not be noticed.

Perhaps the information pack can be focused on sexual health more broadly, including a part on the ramifications of incestuous relationships. Post-legalisation it would not seem so strange to have to mention this in sex ed. :/
    I didn't say you did; I was explaining the broad rationale for that section's inclusion. If I was addressing your beliefs directly I'd have made it clear. Gad we agree, though.

Well, that seems fine. If a general sexual health pack is more palatable then I see no reason to object to it. That kind of information is always useful for people to have anyway.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.