Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1101 – Incest Decriminalisation Bill 2017 (Second Reading) Watch

ReputationRep:
    How much bills do you get through per day
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    I didn't say you did; I was explaining the broad rationale for that section's inclusion. If I was addressing your beliefs directly I'd have made it clear. Gad we agree, though.

Well, that seems fine. If a general sexual health pack is more palatable then I see no reason to object to it. That kind of information is always useful for people to have anyway.
    I realise that the way I worded that sounded defensive. I meant that I agree with you that the concerns re: imminent nationwide incest infatuation are largely unfounded.

Aye.

ReputationRep:
    It's still an aye from me as it was in the first reading.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    How much bills do you get through per day
    I created two new ones today (one will go up tomorrow) and this second reading.They are not mind-blowing bills, but I am making my point about the relative activity of the proposed Libertarian party (with me in it) and the others.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I realise that the way I worded that sounded defensive. I meant that I agree with you that the concerns re: imminent nationwide incest infatuation are largely unfounded.

Aye.
    Internet gna internet.

Glad to have the support.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Still nay, because of the whole position of trust thing held by family members over others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I actually preferred the original bill. I would still vote Aye.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Still nay, because of the whole position of trust thing held by family members over others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries, thanks for explaining why.

(Original post by RuWill2001)
    I actually preferred the original bill. I would still vote Aye.
    Me too, but alas concessions must sometimes be made in the interest of progress. Glad you can still support it

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to sound stupid even though I most definitely do, but is this real??
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattysbabe)
    Don't want to sound stupid even though I most definitely do, but is this real??
    No, this is a Model House of Commons - you might have a Model UN at you're school/uni. It's like that - people write hypothetical legislation which we debate.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Still Nay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Still Nay.
    Why?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Why?
    Because, like other people said, position of trust issue with family members, and I said nay before.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Because, like other people said, position of trust issue with family members, and I said nay before.
    Seems strange not to give 21 year olds the capacity to make their own decisions, but fair enough. Thanks for explaining why.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Seems strange not to give 21 year olds the capacity to make their own decisions, but fair enough. Thanks for explaining why.
    Meh. It's fine.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    hmmm

aye

ReputationRep:
    I don't support this. As far as I can see, there is absolutely no way incest between close family members could possibly have evolved naturally - with a 40% plus rate of severe birth defects, natural selection would have very quickly gone "lolno" to any gene which predisposed people to it unless it had some utterly ridiculous other beneficial effect. I therefore believe that nearly all cases of incest involve either abuse or mental health issues rather than any innate sexual desire for a close family member - and people suffering from either need support, not encouragement.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I don't support this. As far as I can see, there is absolutely no way incest between close family members could possibly have evolved naturally - with a 40% plus rate of severe birth defects, natural selection would have very quickly gone "lolno" to any gene which predisposed people to it unless it had some utterly ridiculous other beneficial effect. I therefore believe that nearly all cases of incest involve either abuse or mental health issues rather than any innate sexual desire for a close family member - and people suffering from either need support, not encouragement.
    There's a 3% increased chance of a birth defect with children between first cousins which is of course presumably higher with closer relations like siblings, but a '40% plus rate' - really? Where'd you get that?

The fact is that first generation children brought about by incest don't typically have defects. It takes multiple generations to have children with birth defects. Moreover, you're assuming that incest would generally be for procreation - what about simply for pleasure?

Relationships forming out of abuse and mental heath issues could happen regardless of what type of intimate relationship is being discussed.

So, now we have one argument remaining. That it is disgusting and odious, which I agree with. However, it doesn't warrant incestuous relationships being against the law for adults and that is why members should support the bill.

No encouragement. It's simply permitting people of age to make their own decisions without having their individual liberties and privacy infringed.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.