Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    B1103 – Firearms Bill 2017, ByronicHero (seconded by Gladstone1885 MP)
    Firearms Bill 2017

Firearm ownership is the great equaliser; it helps women and otherwise vulnerable people protect themselves against violent crime. In 1997 we banned possession of almost all handguns in response to the Dunblane Massacre. Intentional homicide climbed to a peak in 2002, and is still higher today than it was in 1996 (the year before the law took effect). As such, an assumption that such a policy would increase murder rates is misguided. Many other countries permit firearm ownership and enjoy relatively low homicide rates. People like to point to the US as if it is aa useful comparison. It isn't. They have a culture of gang violence that is nothing like ours.

Widespread ownership of handguns would arguably reduce the severity of mass shootings as the aggressor would be shot by one of the many would-be victims carrying them.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Firearms

(1) The Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 is repealed.
    (2) The Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 is repealed.
    (3) Firearms Certificates are issued on a “shall issue” basis, and cannot be revoked or denied unless the applicant has a criminal conviction for an offence against the person, or a history of serious mental instability.

2. Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This may be cited as the Firearms Act 2017
    (2) This act shall extend to England; and
    (3) Shall come into force immediately following Royal Assent; and
    (4) Shall be provided to the Welsh Assembly Government for their consideration; and
    (5) Subject to changes made by the National Assembly for Wales; and
    (6) Subject to an affirmative vote shall come into force immediately following Royal Assent.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Pew pew pew.

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    The figures don't show that banning guns lowers the homocide rate and violent criminals gain confidence because of the ban

Never. God forbid we get in the state that yankland is in.

We don't have mass shootings because of our restrictions of guns. Libertarianism is inherently flawed - you cannot trust all of the people to act rationally when given power.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      I'm not in favour of this I'm afraid. I just don't see the need to legalise firearms and if anything, it would lead to more shootings, not less.
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Abstain - Just not sure if this idea would work here in the UK.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Excellent

Posted from TSR Mobile
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Quamquam123)
      I'm not in favour of this I'm afraid. I just don't see the need to legalise firearms and if anything, it would lead to more shootings, not less.
      Because the only crime in the world is shooting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Nay.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
      Abstain - Just not sure if this idea would work here in the UK.
      Is this a record word count?!?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      I am all in favour of more gun ownership. it boosts sporting success as well as good self defence if necessary.

I'm not saying everyone should be allowed to own a gun, especially if you look at mental health issues or similar, but everyone should be allowed access to a firearm for private use and possession without due delay as long as they are in a sound state of mind!
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Nay

You need more convincing gun control measures for this bill to even be feasible.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by wolfmoon88)
      Nay

You need more convincing gun control measures for this bill to even be feasible.
      Such ad changing nothing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jammy Duel)
      Because the only crime in the world is shooting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
      That's not what I said.
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
      Such ad changing nothing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Exactly
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Nay, I am completely opposed to this.

ReputationRep:
      How many illegal immigrants could I shoot if this bill was passed?

ReputationRep:
      Formatting is off? The notes seem to be at the top, not below the bill. In any case I am firmly in favour of the current restrictions, and we say it is a great equaliser, yet in massacers around the World, not just the US, we don't see would be or actual shooters shot down by those they are aiming at, rather we see people who may otherwise have not been able to access guns killing and maiming innocent people.

Also this bill doesn't take into account the time and money it would cost to retrain and arm the police force in this Country to use and carry firearms themselves in case of aggression by a member of the public carrying a firearm.
      • Wiki Support Team
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Nay. You only have to look at the states to realise how bad an idea this is.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Quamquam123)
      That's not what I said.
      Okay, gun crime is the only crime that matters then?

(Original post by PetrosAC)
      Nay. You only have to look at the states to realise how bad an idea this is.
      Explain?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.