Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is this a record word count?!?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That could be a record punctuation count

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Formatting is off? The notes seem to be at the top, not below the bill. In any case I am firmly in favour of the current restrictions, and we say it is a great equaliser, yet in massacers around the World, not just the US, we don't see would be or actual shooters shot down by those they are aiming at, rather we see people who may otherwise have not been able to access guns killing and maiming innocent people.

Also this bill doesn't take into account the time and money it would cost to retrain and arm the police force in this Country to use and carry firearms themselves in case of aggression by a member of the public carrying a firearm.
    That is because law abiding citizens don't take guns into places it is illegal to take guns i.e. Nightclubs and airport terminals in Florida, where a good guy was allowed to have a gun (i think Minnesota) their was 0 casualties and the attacker was shot
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Okay, gun crime is the only crime that matters then?

Explain?
    I didn't say that either. What I did say was that I believe the legalisation of firearms would lead to more gun-related crimes.

ReputationRep:
    In defense of the United States, I would point out that although our gun crime rate is much higher, our violent crime rate is actually much lower. Just as well we have far more major metropolitan areas which is where the majority of crime is committed.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Okay, gun crime is the only crime that matters then?

Explain?
    Look at the huge number of school shootings and gun crime you have in the United States compared to in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Nay. You only have to look at the states to realise how bad an idea this is.
    Yes the places with strict gun laws (Chicago) have a low murder rate compared to places with few gun laws like New Hampshire
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Nay. You only have to look at the states to realise how bad an idea this is.
    It's like you didn't even read the notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    In defense of the United States, I would point out that although our gun crime rate is much higher, our violent crime rate is actually much lower. Just as well we have far more major metropolitan areas which is where the majority of crime is committed.
    Also your home burglaries occur more often when nobody is home compared to here where violent criminals break in while people are home
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nay-and why are women put in the same category as 'vulnerable people'? Weird.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Formatting is off? The notes seem to be at the top, not below the bill. In any case I am firmly in favour of the current restrictions, and we say it is a great equaliser, yet in massacers around the World, not just the US, we don't see would be or actual shooters shot down by those they are aiming at, rather we see people who may otherwise have not been able to access guns killing and maiming innocent people.

Also this bill doesn't take into account the time and money it would cost to retrain and arm the police force in this Country to use and carry firearms themselves in case of aggression by a member of the public carrying a firearm.
    Aye, the 'good guy with a gun' argument is completely hollow. Everyone might think they're Jason Bourne but in reality in a high pressure situation against a would be mass shooter/terrorist all you're going to do is get yourself killed if you attempt to engage them - you may also endanger the lives of those around you and there's a solid chance that you yourself will accidentally shoot an innocent person. The ability to shoot at a target in controlled conditions as a sport does not transfer easily to a life-or-death situation. We must not feed this dangerously naive notion that would swiftly get people killed.

http://harvardpolitics.com/united-st...-guy-gun-myth/
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    How many illegal immigrants could I shoot if this bill was passed?
    There will be a weekly allowance.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Look at the huge number of school shootings and gun crime you have in the United States compared to in the UK
    Counter cases: Norway , Serbia, Switzerland, Canada, Germany. All have very high gun ownership and very low homicide rates.

Or how about the violent crime rates (remember crime is possible without a gun) which is lower in the US, even when you factor out different classifications.

Or Jamaica, where the banning of guns was followed with increased homicide and violent crime rates (with the same happening in the likes of the UK, Ireland, and Australia to a lesser extent)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Absolutely not.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Nay. Absolutely not.
    Any reason? Or is this another implacable opposition...?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Any reason? Or is this another implacable opposition...?
    Remember that the vast majority are capable of, at most "Aye, no, abstain"
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Or is this another implacable opposition...?
    You know me so well, it's like you never left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    You know me so well, it's like you never left.
    Irrelevant conversation, please move it to the bar.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Irrelevant conversation, please move it to the bar.
    Will do. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Aye, everyman deserves the right to defend himself from criminals and potential government oppression; in the event of a future dystopia I want my grandchild to be able to stand up and say no.

This should be heavily regulated of course, with mental health assessments required before you can obtain a gun license and no automatic or assault weapons - sidearms only

ReputationRep:
    Excellent

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good, now join the libertarians already! We could use an MP to make legalisation easier to pass for the rest of the term, which aspects are the so-called "deal breakers" as you call them?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.