Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So felons saying they would target an unarmed man over an armed one doesn't suggest a causal link? I guess there's also no causal link between intoxication and being a victim of crime either.

Do you have even a correlation, with a causal link optional, that more guns=more crime?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is a correlation between guns and gun crime (too drunk to pull out a source but it's, like, everywhere). Everything else is ephemeral.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    There is a correlation between guns and gun crime (too drunk to pull out a source but it's, like, everywhere). Everything else is ephemeral.
    I'm not convinced you meant to use ephemeral here. Peripheral, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    I'm not convinced you meant to use ephemeral here. Peripheral, maybe?
    As in 'ephemeral to the consciousness' - doesn't stand up to consideration.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    As in 'ephemeral to the consciousness' - doesn't stand up to consideration.
    I see, that wasn't clear. Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

1) "intentional homicide" needs to be defined.
    2) only firearm assault rates are relevant
    3) source?
    4) correlation != causality, most of the other evidence indicates firearm legalisation is bad for crime (I can't be bothered to look for sources for you, but see almost any report from a source which doesn't have a pre-existing ideological commitment to gun ownership)
    In response to #4, obviously it is not in the interest of those institutions who have an ideological commitment against gun ownership to publish such results, so where would you suggest they come from? The gun issue is so sensitive in the U.K. that it's not something that would even be looked at by independent organizations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    In response to #4, obviously it is not in the interest of those institutions who have an ideological commitment against gun ownership to publish such results, so where would you suggest they come from? The gun issue is so sensitive in the U.K. that it's not something that would even be looked at by independent organizations

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not a sensitive issue in the UK lol, there are many independent studies. Look at basically anything published on the subject by a reputable university.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's way more 'sensitive' in the US. In the UK there is a strong consensus on tight gun restrictions and UK politics isn't beset with lobbying on this issue.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Genius!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It's way more 'sensitive' in the US. In the UK there is a strong consensus on tight gun restrictions aren't UK politics isn't beset with lobbying on this issue.
    So it's sensitive when someone deviates from that consensus?

ReputationRep:
    Rather, there is no evidence that doing so produces valuable or worthwhile outcomes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No, it's just not a topic that produces heated debate - unlike in the US.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's just not a topic that produces heated debate - unlike in the US.
    That could be because nobody had a divergent opinion
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That could be because nobody had a divergent opinion
    Obviously at least some people do. But I think the point stands that this is a 'hot topic' in the US and not the UK. I could walk into a bar, and though I would appear an absolute moron, engage in conversation with someone about the safety that gun control laws provide. Would I do the same in the US? Probably not. Unless I was very deep in liberal metropolitan territory.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously at least some people do. But I think the point stands that this is a 'hot topic' in the US and not the UK. I could walk into a bar, and though I would appear an absolute moron, engage in conversation with someone about the safety that gun control laws provide. Would I do the same in the US? Probably not. Unless I was very deep in liberal metropolitan territory.
    So a safe space then? xD

Might I recommend the states of Vermont, Maine, Maryland and Minnesota if the right honourable gentleman is intent on making a stately visit to meet the president-elect; I feel those climes would suit your "liberal metropolitan" preference.

ReputationRep:
    Its definitely a polarizing subject, no matter what country you live in.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    So a safe space then? xD

Might I recommend the states of Vermont, Maine, Maryland and Minnesota if the right honourable gentleman is intent on making a stately visit to meet the president-elect; I feel those climes would suit your "liberal metropolitan" preference.
    I thank the honourable gentleman for his advice on ways I can avoid getting shot at.

Its definitely a polarizing subject, no matter what country you live in.
    Meh, we don't have the same gun culture. NRA UK has so little public presence I had to make sure they existed. I think it's ludicrous to suggest it isn't a more sensitive subject in the US were attempts at meaningful reforms are constantly stymied even in the face of atrocity after atrocity.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I thank the honourable gentleman for his advice on ways I can avoid getting shot at.

Meh, we don't have the same gun culture. NRA UK has so little public presence I had to make sure they existed. I think it's ludicrous to suggest it isn't a more sensitive subject in the US were attempts at meaningful reforms are constantly stymied even in the face of atrocity after atrocity.
    The ultimate way to not get shot, is to have a gun, and ensure you're quicker.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    The ultimate way to not get shot, is to have a gun, and ensure you're quicker.
    I'm not sure if you're joking or not.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.