Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference? Which is more respected? Can you become a clinical psych still with the PHD?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    You need to do the clinical psychology doctorate in order to become a clinical psychologist. There's nothing stopping you doing it after a normal PhD, but it won't make the process any quicker

ReputationRep:
    Interrobang is right, you need the clin psych doctorate- just a related note too- if you are thinking of this career before uni like I did that's great- but pleeeeease heavily research how you will get there. If I knew that most people don't even get onto a clinpsych doctorate till they're about 26 (because of the amount of experience you need and how competitive it is) I might not have even chosen psychology as my degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    You need to do the clinical psychology doctorate in order to become a clinical psychologist. There's nothing stopping you doing it after a normal PhD, but it won't make the process any quicker
    Thanks for letting me know! Do you know any careers you can get with mental health science PHD?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vlvttunderground)
    Interrobang is right, you need the clin psych doctorate- just a related note too- if you are thinking of this career before uni like I did that's great- but pleeeeease heavily research how you will get there. If I knew that most people don't even get onto a clinpsych doctorate till they're about 26 (because of the amount of experience you need and how competitive it is) I might not have even chosen psychology as my degree!
    Great! Do you know the difference between the two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimahbeg)
    Great! Do you know the difference between the two?
    The difference is a PhD is a research degree, i.e. it is purely research, you come up with a study with your supervisor(s) and you will finish after 3-4 years having produced a thesis. This is usually the route for those who want to be academics and researchers etc. You do not hold the title of clinical psychologist after a PhD or any of the protected titles (educational, sports, counselling psychologists etc).

DClinPsy (Doctorate of clinical psychology) on the other hand is a practical, taught degree where you are trained to become a clinical psychologist and will still submit a thesis, research projects and/or literature reviews (it won't be like the 70,000 word PhD thesis).

If you want to go the academic route - a PhD would be for you. If you want to go into clinical practice then the DClinPsy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 5, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Who is going to be the top scorer of the World Cup in 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.