Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Forgotten Birthday Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Every year everyone remembers my big brothers birthday... then forgets mine.

Mum is fairly good - this year she got some balloons, a cake and a sewing machine! (I was over the moon with this, but, I never expect gifts - just a simple "happy birthday" will do.
    But the rest of the family seem to forget just to say "happy Birthday" - once again I do not expect gift, but seems odd as they never forget my sibling.
    My parents had a minor fall out with my uncle; ever since he sends my brother a card and cash on his b-day. He doesn't so much as pick up the phone to me on mine. Does he think I have fallen out with him too? I had nothing to do with the fall out. And does he still love me as much as my brother?
    My gran gives my brother £25 on his birthday every year and me nothing as it is his b-day. Then my birthday she gives me £10.... before handing my brother £10 too as she "cannot give to one and not the other". On my 15th/16th she gave me £10 and him £25 as he is the eldest. I do still think this is very generous and I am grateful, I just feel it is odd that she treats us differently when her own morals tell her otherwise.
    My aunt sent my brother a card on MY BIRTHDAY but not me - but phoned to say happy birthday. Once again I am over the moon that she took the time to phone, but why send my brother a card on my b-day? his birthday is ages away.
    I am more than grateful for what I have, I'm not upset about not getting pressies like my brother gets. I guess my question is over love. Do my family love me as much as my brother?
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choco fairy)
    Every year everyone remembers my big brothers birthday... then forgets mine.

Mum is fairly good - this year she got some balloons, a cake and a sewing machine! (I was over the moon with this, but, I never expect gifts - just a simple "happy birthday" will do.
    But the rest of the family seem to forget just to say "happy Birthday" - once again I do not expect gift, but seems odd as they never forget my sibling.
    My parents had a minor fall out with my uncle; ever since he sends my brother a card and cash on his b-day. He doesn't so much as pick up the phone to me on mine. Does he think I have fallen out with him too? I had nothing to do with the fall out. And does he still love me as much as my brother?
    My gran gives my brother £25 on his birthday every year and me nothing as it is his b-day. Then my birthday she gives me £10.... before handing my brother £10 too as she "cannot give to one and not the other". On my 15th/16th she gave me £10 and him £25 as he is the eldest. I do still think this is very generous and I am grateful, I just feel it is odd that she treats us differently when her own morals tell her otherwise.
    My aunt sent my brother a card on MY BIRTHDAY but not me - but phoned to say happy birthday. Once again I am over the moon that she took the time to phone, but why send my brother a card on my b-day? his birthday is ages away.
    I am more than grateful for what I have, I'm not upset about not getting pressies like my brother gets. I guess my question is over love. Do my family love me as much as my brother?
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Sorry to hear this My family have a fairly similar situation as you describe, and I don't think it's because they don't love you the same, more likely just because they don't really think about it... My uncle is really bad at this, and will maybe get my oldest sister a bottle of champagne for her birthday, and then for my other sister, who is also his god-daughter, just get her a mug, no doubt worth less than half the champagne...

It does suck, but I guess for me when it happens to me, I just let go of it, and know that it's probably nothing to do with love at all, just not thinking about it much!

Let me say early/late happy birthday
      :birthday::cake::dance::woo:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.