Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone offer any advice on how to answer 12 mark summary questions for Listening and Reading? I always struggle to condense my words and avoid writing over the 70 word limit, while I'm not always efficient in directly addressing each of the bullet points. An example would be much appreciated, if possible.
    Thank you!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharmingCat)
    Could anyone offer any advice on how to answer 12 mark summary questions for Listening and Reading? I always struggle to condense my words and avoid writing over the 70 word limit, while I'm not always efficient in directly addressing each of the bullet points. An example would be much appreciated, if possible.
    Thank you!
    Because you say that you're "not always efficient in directly addressing each of the bullet points", I should imagine that if you have trouble doing this is French you might also have trouble doing it in English - i.e. that the main problem is the technique of doing summaries, and not the French itself.

If this is the case, then try this to improve:

Take an article (could be in English, it doesn't matter at this stage), read it and say, in one single sentence, what the article is about. So if you take this article, for example: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-tackle-waste/ you could summarise it in one sentence like this: The British government is considering the introduction of a returnable deposit on plastic bottles in order to combat waste and pollution.

That is the essential piece of information that this article is about. Now you may want to say a little bit more. As a general rule, ignore examples (so don't talk about Scotland here) or comparisons (so don't talk about plastic bags). We are given different reactions to the scheme in the article, so you could add something like this to your summary: While this scheme is being welcomed by environmentalists, there are concerns that it could be expensive to implement and that it could effectively become an extra tax for people who already recycle their plastic bottles.

Practise this in English with different articles; you should find that it gets easier and that you get better at doing it in French.

ReputationRep:
    Anna Schoon gives some excellent advice here, and I recommend you follow it. Practising on texts in English is an excellent way to develop a skill of being able to write a concise yet thorough summary. Make sure that you know the key vocab - particularly in listening tasks, if you miss the key word, you're going to struggle to produce an accurate summary of what you heard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Schoon)
    Because you say that you're "not always efficient in directly addressing each of the bullet points", I should imagine that if you have trouble doing this is French you might also have trouble doing it in English - i.e. that the main problem is the technique of doing summaries, and not the French itself.

If this is the case, then try this to improve:

Take an article (could be in English, it doesn't matter at this stage), read it and say, in one single sentence, what the article is about. So if you take this article, for example: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-tackle-waste/ you could summarise it in one sentence like this: The British government is considering the introduction of a returnable deposit on plastic bottles in order to combat waste and pollution.

That is the essential piece of information that this article is about. Now you may want to say a little bit more. As a general rule, ignore examples (so don't talk about Scotland here) or comparisons (so don't talk about plastic bags). We are given different reactions to the scheme in the article, so you could add something like this to your summary: While this scheme is being welcomed by environmentalists, there are concerns that it could be expensive to implement and that it could effectively become an extra tax for people who already recycle their plastic bottles.

Practise this in English with different articles; you should find that it gets easier and that you get better at doing it in French.
    Thank you for the advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.