Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just looking for some opinions. I've finished university with a decent degree but am looking to volunteer abroad for a year, quite possibly two. It's already been 6 months since graduating and I've only been working my bar job to pay off all the debt incurred throughout uni, so if I were to get a graduate job it may be 3 years after graduating.

My question is; at what point does it get too long since graduating? I figure I'd mainly be teaching english but would try and engage in some more team leader positions to make it seem more attractive to employers. When graduate schemes ask for recent graduates, would this automatically write me off?

I'll be doing it anyway for the life experience + international exposure + language skills, but I guess this was just a slight chip on my shoulder. For the record I'm a STEM grad, but not looking at pursuing anything further in my field, I'd aim for business/finance roles.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, it is great you are looking to volunteer abroad - don't let the time since graduation put you off as thousands of people do similar trips and spend months/years away. Also having volunteering experience on your CV will also look great to potential employers (it shows you spent your time off doing something productive). I guess you need to decide if it is right for you, or if you would prefer to just start working.

ReputationRep:
    Graduate schemes usually ask for applicants who graduated in the last two, maybe three years. If you use your time abroad constructively it can be a big selling point when it comes to applying for work.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.