Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to take for A-Level? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So at the moment I'm in the processing of deciding my A-levels but I don't know what I want to do in the future very much (possibly some sort or journalist/film career but I'm not sure, even if I couldget onto to doing that) Careers appointment recommended I take facilitating subjects and as I really don't enjoy maths/science things, I've narrowed it down to English Lit or Lang (which would you say is better?), Modern or ancient history (again which would you say is better), French, RS, and possible media studies although considering doing some sort of media EPQ instead.... sorry If this was wordy I just want a bit of advice!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

take it all you dirty girl

just take the ones you're best at and find the most interesting

ReputationRep:
    English Lit, History and French is a really good combination!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yowhyy)
    So at the moment I'm in the processing of deciding my A-levels but I don't know what I want to do in the future very much (possibly some sort or journalist/film career but I'm not sure, even if I couldget onto to doing that) Careers appointment recommended I take facilitating subjects and as I really don't enjoy maths/science things, I've narrowed it down to English Lit or Lang (which would you say is better?), Modern or ancient history (again which would you say is better), French, RS, and possible media studies although considering doing some sort of media EPQ instead.... sorry If this was wordy I just want a bit of advice!
    English lit/lang: Tough to get an A*, espect alot of reading in your free time.
    History/ancient H: Similar to English, the amount of essay's required weekly is really stressful.
    French: Really good choice if your generally enthusiastic, A-A* in GCSE or can speak it.
    RS: Load of bull. Doubt top 40 Universities will take it seriously, would be okay if you were doing 4 A2s.
    Media Studies: Worst option, I had friends that couldn't get enough sleep from the amount of analysing movies. Expect to watch 10+ '50s movies and write essays about them to help with your final projects.

If I were you study for Law
    Take the following subjects:
    1- English Lang
    2- Ancient History
    3- Psychology
    4- French (If you can) or Government & Politics

Heres a link that can help narrow down things:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...Subject_Guides

ReputationRep:
    I take History + Ancient History and find they compliment each other without being too similar. Classical Civilisation (Ancient History) is, I find, easier than History, however.

I also take French, which is a great A Level if you enjoy learning languages.

I took English Literature (more "facilitating" than English Language) for a few weeks before dropping it - History and English is a popular combination, and English Lit is a good A Level if you enjoy reading and don't get bored by analysing books and poems often (the reason why I dropped it - didn't find it fun in the slightest but I know many people who enjoy doing so).

I'd recommend [History, English, and French], or [History, Ancient History, and English] as combinations (Doing all 4 would be pretty stressful - History, Ancient History, and English are all heavily essay based so adding a language A Level on top would be pretty stressful), along with maybe an EPQ.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.