Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I plan to do Biological Sciences or Biochemistry at Imperial. My friend also wants to do Biochemistry at Imperial (if he feels his grades aren't good enough for Medicine). I am predicted better grades than him and have better GCSEs and better potential. I am also far ahead of him extra curricular wise. He wants me to bring him into my extra curricular activities relating to my desired courses. I do not what to do because he is my good friend of 6 years but I see him as competition to the already limited places for the courses that are available worldwide so would it be right to not help his chances? What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    The way you supposedly "win" is not by keeping other people down, but by outclassing and being the best at what you can do. There will be many applicants who will be far superior to you and your friend nonetheless (academically wise).

ReputationRep:
    I understand why you're thinking like that but from what I'm hearing, he's not a huge threat at all and you're in a better position. If you were a true friend then you should be giving him a helping hand in helping him to attain the university as it's possible that you both can enter. Don't stress it, it may feel like millions of people will apply for that course but in reality it's probably in the range of thousands and so although it's competitive, it's not impossible for you both to get Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the outlook

ReputationRep:
    Imperial gives more offers than they can hold, because they have to account the fact some students will reject Imperial's offer, or the offer is not achieved in August.

If they sent only a set amount of offers per year, they will naturally see a decline in succesfull admission. That's why they send more to exclude the uncertainties.

So help him out, if according to how you described him, unlikely gets an offer; may not even be able to achieve it.
    Whereas if he does, alongside with you, the other candidates applying elsewhere wont be as fortunate.

It's a win-win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeetaRJ)
    I plan to do Biological Sciences or Biochemistry at Imperial. My friend also wants to do Biochemistry at Imperial (if he feels his grades aren't good enough for Medicine). I am predicted better grades than him and have better GCSEs and better potential. I am also far ahead of him extra curricular wise. He wants me to bring him into my extra curricular activities relating to my desired courses. I do not what to do because he is my good friend of 6 years but I see him as competition to the already limited places for the courses that are available worldwide so would it be right to not help his chances? What should I do?
    You don't need to be too helpful, just be a good friend about it. Like if he asks for help on something, give an honest answer. But don't feel you need to go out of your way to help his application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.