Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If any of you have the heinemann orange M1 book, could you please try and help me out with the following questions:

Ex 2d: questions 9-12

Ex 4A 3(a) once i can do this first one, im sure ill be able to do the rest of them.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Just going out for a run now, plus I'm too lazy to type everything up...but for q3 of Ex 4A, the horizontal component of the forces added together is P + Rcos(theta), and the vertical component is Q + Rsin(theta). So for 3a), P = 3, Q = 4, R = 5 and theta = 60°, so the horizontal component is (3 + 2.5 = 5.5) and the vertical component is (4 + 2.5√3).

The resultant magnitude is then √[5.5² + (4 + 2.5√3)²] = 9.982 N to 4SF, and the angle it makes with the x-axis is arctan(vertical/horizontal) = arctan[(4 + 2.5√3)/5.5] = 56.57° to 4SF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    sd
    ummm...its maybe coz im new here, but i have no idea what that stands for :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Can you post the actual questions, I had to give mine back to my college a while ago but I'll probably be able to help. Just post the information you don't need to bother with the whole paragraph they use up to ask you a question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topdude)
    ummm...its maybe coz im new here, but i have no idea what that stands for :confused:
    Something went wrong with the post...sorry. I edited. Later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Can you post the actual questions, I had to give mine back to my college a while ago but I'll probably be able to help. Just post the information you don't need to bother with the whole paragraph they use up to ask you a question.
    2D 9

Particles position vector is 2i + j initially, and is accelating inot direction i + j. Magnitude is 5 root 2, find the velocity vector and speed after 2 seconds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topdude)
    2D 9

Particles position vector is 2i + j initially, and is accelating inot direction i + j. Magnitude is 5 root 2, find the velocity vector and speed after 2 seconds
    Acceleration vector: 5i + 5j. (It has to be parallel to i + j and have length 5 sqrt(2).)

Velocity after 2 seconds (assuming we start at rest): 2*(5i + 5j) = 10i + 10j.

Speed after 2 seconds: 2*(5 sqrt(2)) = 10 sqrt(2).

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 7, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.