Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do we call Corbyn/Hillary supporters liberals? Watch

ReputationRep:
    They are the antithesis of liberalism. They support a BIG state, they hate personal freedoms and they hate most of all Western heritage.

They support the destruction of free speech on university campuses, where if you say something remotely 'disagreeable', you are faced with the mob and pressure for the university to kick you out.

Get accused of rape? No need to get the police involved and go through the proper legal courts, just take the woman's word for it and go through the university kangaroo court.

They say that they are on the side of the poor, that they want to reduce house prices (particularly Corbyn, not really an American issue), yet favour uncontrolled immigration in to our already overpopulated small island!

When will these people come to their senses?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you joecphillips for seeing sense.

ReputationRep:
    They support freedoms like the right to abortion and gay marriage, unlike many Republicans who self-title themselves the guardians of personal liberty and individual choice.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    BEcause in relative terms they're socially liberal, perhaps? And particularly with Clinton "liberal" is analogous to "left", largely due to point 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    They support freedoms like the right to abortion and gay marriage, unlike many Republicans who self-title themselves the guardians of personal liberty and individual choice.
    Which could, of course, be reframed as the baby's right to live and the right for religious institutions to operate without governmental interference...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    BEcause in relative terms they're socially liberal, perhaps? And particularly with Clinton "liberal" is analogous to "left", largely due to point 1.
    Free speech is part of being socially liberal. Clinton seemed more concerned with canoodling with celebrities than protecting this basic freedom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Free speech is part of being socially liberal. Clinton seemed more concerned with canoodling with celebrities than protecting this basic freedom.
    She was campaigning on shutting it down, citizens united was because of a documentary about her which she didn't like

ReputationRep:
    the right for religious institutions to operate without governmental interference...
    Allowing gay marriage isn't governmental interference in religious institutions, it's allowing gay people to marry even though some religious institutions disapprove of it.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're libcucks. AKA liberal cucks

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing how often some far-right members on here post incessantly whining over nothing. I often wonder if they have anything else at all to do with their lives except spread around their nonsense viewpoints -hmm-.

ReputationRep:
    Allowing gay marriage isn't governmental interference in religious institutions, it's allowing gay people to marry even though some religious institutions disapprove of it.
    More importantly marriage stopped becoming an exclusively religious institution a very long time ago. This is not the 1800s (as much as the right want to live in that era) anymore.

It's laughable the excuses used to try and masquerade dislike towards gay people.

ReputationRep:
    Which could, of course, be reframed as the baby's right to live

ReputationRep:
    Typical clueless spouting from someone with no knowledge of liberal politics. Are you seriously comparing Corbyn to Clinton? :laugh:

And as I thought: no sources, only rants over perceived victimhood. It's the type I see every time I lurk on reddit, nothing new or original.

ReputationRep:
    Because Hillary is a liberal (as in, new liberalism in the American Sense of the word.)

And we brits (in general) know **** all about politics but don't like looking ignorant so we apply the same word to our alternatives, even though Corbyn is more like a Bernie Sanders.

Same with Farage being called "alt-right" - he supports nowhere near the same degree of protectionist trade policy that Trump does, he's a free marketeer.

Tl;dr lack of politics education in British schools resulting in americanisms bleeding through.

ReputationRep:
    Uncontrolled immigration is if anything ultra-liberal. I'm assuming you want restrictions which are by definition illiberal.

ReputationRep:
    For completely different reasons to OP, I do kind of get annoyed at this kind of thing. Well, not for Clinton fans, for them it's not inaccurate. What does annoy me is the phrase "liberal left" or using "liberal" as a synonym for "left-wing" as if they're similar. Liberals are wishy-washy centrists, not lefties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Yeah in America they generally use "conservative" and "liberal" as terms to represent the right and the left.

American politics is a bit different in that the socially liberal but economically small-state low-tax types are not really in the mainstream whereas in the UK the likes of Cameron and Osborne were prominent in the Conservative party. The US Republican party is dominated by social conservatives and influenced heavily by the religious right. It also includes some protectionist interests which aren't there in the UK Conservative party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    It's amazing how often some far-right members on here post incessantly whining over nothing. I often wonder if they have anything else at all to do with their lives except spread around their nonsense viewpoints -hmm-.
    Why is he 'far-right'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Are you seriously comparing Corbyn to Clinton? :laugh:
    gotta agree there

And as I thought: no sources, only rants over perceived victimhood. It's the type I see every time I lurk on reddit, nothing new or original.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Except by forcing it upon religious institutions it is government interference. Any implementation should simply to recognise gay marriage under the law, and not bother touching the religious side of things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.