The Student Room Group

Probation

Has anyone on here applied to the PQIP or thinking of doing so?

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I have just been offered a place to begin training in May, so I have just been through all of the steps to get here. What would you like to know?
Reply 2
Original post by Lozzie112233
Hello, I have just been offered a place to begin training in May, so I have just been through all of the steps to get here. What would you like to know?

Hi :smile: when did you apply? What degree did you do? Do you have much experience? How hard would you say the assessment process is :smile:? Thanks!
Original post by EP94
Hi :smile: when did you apply? What degree did you do? Do you have much experience? How hard would you say the assessment process is :smile:? Thanks!

I applied in October, I had to pay £75 just to have my degree modules checked, luckily I had three of the four. I studied criminology, for some reason we didn't do a rehabilitation module so that is the one I will be doing alongside it. I volunteered with circles east for 3 years prior, I really recommend doing some voluntary work in the field. Drug addiction is another good area to gain experience.

The online assessments weren't bad, the assessment day itself was nerve racking, I was convinced I tanked the interview part but apparently not. The group exercise was actually really fun, I got there and started the conversation off, wanted to show them that I can take the lead.
Reply 4

I've just been accepted into the PQiP course myself :smile:
I applied in October, I had to pay £75 just to have my degree modules checked, luckily I had three of the four. I studied criminology, for some reason we didn't do a rehabilitation module so that is the one I will be doing alongside it. I volunteered with circles east for 3 years prior, I really recommend doing some voluntary work in the field. Drug addiction is another good area to gain experience.

The online assessments weren't bad, the assessment day itself was nerve racking, I was convinced I tanked the interview part but apparently not. The group exercise was actually really fun, I got there and started the conversation off, wanted to show them that I can take the lead.

Would a placement in prisons be good experience?
Original post by cherryred90s
Would a placement in prisons be good experience?

Definitely! You'll have worked with all types of offender then.
Reply 7

I'm going to be having my modules assessed soon, in studied criminology with psychology and I'm worrying if I'll scratch the three modules :/ fingers crossed! What is circles east, what type of people did you deal with :smile:? I would love experience with working with drug addictions or in prisons! I'm just struggling to find opportunities, did you volunteer whilst studying for your degree?
Reply 8
Original post by Aza280

Hi :smile: what experience did you have when you applied :smile:? What degree did you complete aswell, im just wondering if I my criminology / psychology degree will be accepted ... thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Does anyone know of any existing prison placement schemes in the north east of England?
Original post by Aza280

Ooh I missed this post last night. Brilliant, which area are you in?
Original post by EP94
I'm going to be having my modules assessed soon, in studied criminology with psychology and I'm worrying if I'll scratch the three modules :/ fingers crossed! What is circles east, what type of people did you deal with :smile:? I would love experience with working with drug addictions or in prisons! I'm just struggling to find opportunities, did you volunteer whilst studying for your degree?

Circles is working with sex offenders. I jumped in at the deep end. I started that just before uni actually, so I was doing it for over 3 years. It's definitely worth while, you work in a group of 4 or 5 volunteers with one offender for a year, as they reintegrate back into society.
Reply 12
Circles is working with sex offenders. I jumped in at the deep end. I started that just before uni actually, so I was doing it for over 3 years. It's definitely worth while, you work in a group of 4 or 5 volunteers with one offender for a year, as they reintegrate back into society.

That sounds so interesting! I've got my eyes peeled for a volunteering opportunity that's working more with challenging behaviours, I currently volunteer for referral orders with youth offenders but I'm after something more interesting! Fingers crossed my degree is acceptable :smile: thanks for answering my questions :smile:

I came across circles when looking for experience. How long did you volunteer with them? And what kind of things did you do?
I volunteered for 3 years. It really depends on the interests of the individual, we went for coffee sometimes and to bingo a couple of times. We also met to discuss more private things in a meeting house, so the public couldn't hear. It really depends what they want to do.

Was it nerve racking at first? Also, how many hours per week did you volunteer?
Original post by cherryred90s
Was it nerve racking at first? Also, how many hours per week did you volunteer?

It's just an hour a week. It was a little scary at first, but it didn't take long to settle in
Reply 16
Ooh I missed this post last night. Brilliant, which area are you in?

I'm in the Midlands area, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Have you found anything about the course itself? Modules, day to day work, hours and such? I can't seem to find any info on that stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Do you think experience as a PCSO would be okay?
Original post by EP94
Do you think experience as a PCSO would be okay?

I imagine so, you'll definitely be working with some challenging behaviour in that role.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending