Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm a HCA with NHSP around college and find it a brilliant role to gain clinical exposure (hoping to study medicine)

I've asked my trust liaison officer to sign me up for the next phlebotomy training and ILS sessions - which I'm told is mandatory for HCAs who want to work on A&E.

What I was wondering is whether your pay goes up for being able to undertake extra clinical duties? At my old trust, only band 3 HCA's took bloods etc and atm I'm paid at band 2.

I've been working as a HCA for a year and a half - most of which was full time, but not sure how long it takes to make the jump between the two bands?

ReputationRep:
    Basically the answer is no. In my experience you're extremely unlikely to be upgraded to a band 3 purely for your clinical skills, you would have to apply for a specific job role. AfC sees you getting a pay increase yearly on the anniversary of the start date, you can find charts online for specific salaries.

Good luck with getting into medicine! Phlebotomy is definitely a great skill to have. I've known a few doctors who started life as a HCA and they tend to be pretty good ones!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.