Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the most anyone missed their offer by and still got in? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Whats the most anyone missed their offer by and still got in? Im getting really scared, but hoping coz ive applied for chem and its undersubscribed ill be ok :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottyoneill)
    Whats the most anyone missed their offer by and still got in? Im getting really scared, but hoping coz ive applied for chem and its undersubscribed ill be ok :s
    I know someone who had an offer of AAB to study physics at York last year. She only achieved CCC but they still let her in..

ReputationRep:
    Things like that happen a lot with the single sciences phys chem etc, they cant fill the places if they paid people. Don't think its wisew though as they are some of the hardest subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Things like that happen a lot with the single sciences phys chem etc, they cant fill the places if they paid people. Don't think its wisew though as they are some of the hardest subjects.
    Unfortunatly they don't seem to have this problem with Computer Science which is the most popular course and is still difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottyoneill)
    I needed BB and got AC. Still got in to my genetics course. It was oversubscribed, and I think gettinghte highest grade int he year for bio helped.

In short, it's always possible. If you don't get the precise grades, hope you get the grade points...

ReputationRep:
    I needed AAA and got AAB, but i had an A in another subject that wasn't included in my offer & an AEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    I know someone who had an offer of AAB to study physics at York last year. She only achieved CCC but they still let her in..
    Wow, thats filled me with confidence, I need BBB so hopefully theyll still let me in when I miss the offer!

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who had a AAA offer from Oxford and still got in with ABC.

ReputationRep:
    i needed BCC and I got in with DEU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swim By)
    i needed BCC and I got in with DEU
    !!!
    where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMinx)
    :eek:!!!
    where?
    westminster, but i have to do a foundation course though.

ReputationRep:
    Now THAT'S what I needed to hear!

ReputationRep:
    i know it's not quite the same but the course requirements for my bloke's course are BBC including physics and he got in with CE in music and maths...he did have some work experience though. he just rang up the uni and sweet talked his way past teh admissions officer!

ReputationRep:
    I think the admissions tutor should let students that only miss one grade instead of 2 or 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    I think the admissions tutor should let students that only miss one grade instead of 2 or 3.

I think it depends very much on the circumstances. I think they're trained much more than anyone to decide who should get in and on what basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by covered farm wa)
    I know someone who had a AAA offer from Oxford and still got in with ABC.
    Oxford is a bit different though cus they have interviews for almost every subject. They also pool people who miss their grades in case another of the collages wants them. Quite typical is that their all-girls college fills up with people who missed their offers from other collages. Also, it depends a lot on your distribution of grades. Honestly, if you apply for maths and have top scores in two maths subjects and a step paper they are not going to give a tiny rats arse if you got a D in History (Perhaps if they are over subscribed ). It really differs from case to case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Computer Science which is the most popular course
    Are you sure on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    What if they have become ill during UCAS deadline and exams? I'm not on about there mere cold but some illnesses, which with some people can be minor, can be quite major with others. I, myself, attained a doctor's note and sent it off special delievery. The doctor could only account for the times I have 'complained' to him, the rest of the time I put up with it. But he knows I've been ill and not seen him so I wrote this in the letter along with my doctor's note. Guess admissions can phone the doctor to enquire this.

Also what if someone was offered AAA and got BBB missing 1 UMS point in each subject? That must be so annoying in that situation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What if they have become ill during UCAS deadline and exams? I'm not on about there mere cold but some illnesses, which with some people can be minor, can be quite major with others. I, myself, attained a doctor's note and sent it off special delievery. The doctor could only account for the times I have 'complained' to him, the rest of the time I put up with it. But he knows I've been ill and not seen him so I wrote this in the letter along with my doctor's note. Guess admissions can phone the doctor to enquire this.

Also what if someone was offered AAA and got BBB missing 1 UMS point in each subject? That must be so annoying in that situation!
    I was robbed last year in my business A-level, missed a grade 'A' by 13 marks. Resat one paper and now have an 'A'. So annoying.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.