Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the most anyone missed their offer by and still got in? watch

ReputationRep:
    I failed to achieve my BCC offer for chem (missed every single grade ) and I still got accepted without having to ring up and beg :cool: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Are you sure on this?
    Yeh according to the Times Good University Guide its the most popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I failed to achieve my BCC offer for chem (missed every single grade ) and I still got accepted without having to ring up and beg :cool: .

what uni is this? im hopin for either st andrews or UMIST

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottyoneill)
    what uni is this? im hopin for either st andrews or UMIST
    University of East Anglia (so not really as good as either of your two). But I think it helped being a girl doing chem as to why they accepted me.

ReputationRep:
    University of East Anglia (so not really as good as either of your two). But I think it helped being a girl doing chem as to why they accepted me.

My friend did an MChem at UMIST. She didn't get her grades, got in and got a first for years 1-3 and a distinction for the 'M' bit!

ReputationRep:
    Know two people who were offered BBC for business studies (same uni), one got CCD, the other got CDD, both still got in.

I know that the economics course I'm doing is not so lenient! know someone who missed by 1 grade and still did not get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I was robbed last year in my business A-level, missed a grade 'A' by 13 marks. Resat one paper and now have an 'A'. So annoying.
    lol, compared to what happened to me, that is nothing.

In Biology I missed an A grade by 6 ums marks. I only scored 6/60 on my c/work because our teacher, who was teaching a level and the aqa syllabus for the first time, told us all how to do the coursework wrong (the most anyone scored was about 15/60, whereas the year before most of us had 60/60).

Also, in PE, the exam board lost one of my papers and so to give me a mark for that paper they averaged all my marks from the 2 years, and awarded me a B. If I had scored aswell on that paper as I had on my other A2 papers I would have easily had an A grade (by about 15 ums).

I probably had the worst results day in history.. (Still made my offer though.. )

ReputationRep:
    whats ur degree like? havent really spoke to many people who do chem degrees so im takin a bit of a risk....is it good? much work to do? it hard??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottyoneill)
    whats ur degree like? havent really spoke to many people who do chem degrees so im takin a bit of a risk....is it good? much work to do? it hard??
    I personally find it very hard and very difficult, but loads of people on my course seem to pick it up no problem (I'm just not one of those people). Be prepared for lots of hours of lectures and labs, and a lot of work on top of it (chemistry is not a subject where you can doss for the year and still pass with a 2:1). I didn't find last year very interesting because I was very limited to the options that I could do, hopefully now I can pick from a bigger range I'll find it better. I'm not trying to put you off but be prepared for lots of hard work (and also be prepared to get very bitter about arts students who have 6 lectures a week and about 2 essays a term!).

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2004
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.