Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As a current year 12 student reading and listening to year 11s now talk about college and what they're going to do, I've noticed the system has changed for colleges I know. So posing this question to current year 11s out there now and anyone else in the know, could you share what you know about the college application system? I'm wondering if it really has changed.

When I applied it was done through the college websites on a application form and it was up to me to apply in my spare time. Now it seems so much more led. I have a friend in year 11 who told me college apps are done through UCAS. And college places are now very provisional, whereas before if you didn't get the grades for one course you were put onto the next best suitable.

Is this true for everywhere in England and Wales?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xEmilyxx)
    As a current year 12 student reading and listening to year 11s now talk about college and what they're going to do, I've noticed the system has changed for colleges I know. So posing this question to current year 11s out there now and anyone else in the know, could you share what you know about the college application system? I'm wondering if it really has changed.

When I applied it was done through the college websites on a application form and it was up to me to apply in my spare time. Now it seems so much more led. I have a friend in year 11 who told me college apps are done through UCAS. And college places are now very provisional, whereas before if you didn't get the grades for one course you were put onto the next best suitable.

Is this true for everywhere in England and Wales?
    As 16-18 have to remain in education/apprenticeship schools and colleges have to manage a greater number of applications and bigger demand for places. More and more are using the UCAS system to manage the large number of applications in an automated way. In my experience schools and colleges have always made conditional offers of places that were dependant on achieving certain GCSE results. Most Colleges and many schools will still try to find a suitable course if you don't achieve the requirements for you first choice selection of subjects.

In short, the process is probably getting more formal to cope with the numbers but otherwise things haven't really changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.