The Student Room Group

Feel weird about university social life after first semester

So, I go back in a few days, and I'm just reflecting on, and evaluating my current social standing.

I am a gay guy - I have four flatmates: one guy who is never there, a girl who I've been close to from the start, and two other girls who were very close from the start. Here's the thing; the girl who I've been with from the start, I actually don't think we're very well-matched in terms of personality, and she's actually grated on me a lot at times. She also has another group of friends, who I'm pretty close to too. It's just awkward because she is obviously closer to them than me (slightly) but she isn't that close to me at times. Sometimes I do feel a bit excluded for example, reading tweets about 'gals' when I was blood there!

The two close girls in my flat is another story - one I honestly love, like we get on so well and I really like her. The other I fell out with mid-semester, but it got much ebtter, but it's still awkward.

Apart from that, there are loads of other people, from good friends to acquaintances from my course for example. The problem is I just don't feel like I have a group of my own yet. I haven't built up a strong level of trust with these people. I do feel I relate to them and get on really well, I just sometimes feel like an outsider, and it's mainly because of my own flat mate.

I guess what I'm gonna do going forward is just try and nurture the relationships I do have, and be open to meeting new people, I'm just not overwhelmed with enthusiasm, especially when I see people tweeting about how they can't wait to see 'their group.'
Reply 1
Does your university have an LGBT society? If they do, you should join it as well as other societies that interest you. Not everyone will click with their flatmates though, but there's opportunities to make friends outside too so don't worry too much, it took me 3 years to properly make friends.
Original post by UWS
Does your university have an LGBT society? If they do, you should join it as well as other societies that interest you. Not everyone will click with their flatmates though, but there's opportunities to make friends outside too so don't worry too much, it took me 3 years to properly make friends.

Yeah it does, and I feel really fortunate I have at least 3 LGBT good friends. It's not the best though, there aren't many events tbh, and they're normally quite short notice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending