The Student Room Group

I don't like staying at my boyfriends house

I really dislike staying at other people's houses and always have done. I've slept round my boyfriends a few times in the past but I just don't enjoy it. He keeps asking me to and I keep making excuses, and he said tonight that it's a massive problem but to me, it isn't. I see him a lot during the day and evenings so I don't understand
I get quite embarrassed asking my parents because they make silly comments about it. And, I just like my own house especially after going uni or work all week.
Am I being unreasonable? I just don't like being told what to do by him and controlled.
No. Is he generally controlling? :lolwut: thats not OK :hugs:
No, you're not being unreasonable.
Have you explained to him you just prefer your own space and don't feel comfortable staying at other people's houses, that it's nothing personal?
I can understand why, but you know him so you would have to assess whether it is controlling or not. Perfectly ok for you not to like it for your own reasons, but I can also see his side as well
Original post by Nottsstudent96
I really dislike staying at other people's houses and always have done. I've slept round my boyfriends a few times in the past but I just don't enjoy it. He keeps asking me to and I keep making excuses, and he said tonight that it's a massive problem but to me, it isn't. I see him a lot during the day and evenings so I don't understand
I get quite embarrassed asking my parents because they make silly comments about it. And, I just like my own house especially after going uni or work all week.
Am I being unreasonable? I just don't like being told what to do by him and controlled.

I'm guessing you are living at home...?

I think it should be pretty obvious why he likes you sleeping with him. I mean, to be blunt it's just lovely waking up next to someone and being able to give them a cuddle before you go off on your own ways for the day.

And obviously it means you can have sex pretty much whenever.

Are you doing that already...?

Perhaps he wants that... If you are... Well. Just have to ask him up front is that why he is so fussed and ask what else can be done about it?
Yeah I go round his house a lot but I just don't like sleeping over. I've explained why not and he still goes on and on about it, resulting in arguments! I don't know what else to say to him. :frown:
I just don't know what to do or say. It's driving me mad, he makes me feel so guilty for not wanting to! I was honest and said I just have never liked it but he won't listen to me.
Reply 7
why is he making it such a big fuss lmao
If I say I don't want to and am honest, he'll reply with saying that 'we don't want the same things' or that 'I don't love him'. It's so annoying! I just don't know what to do.
The fact he thinks that it may be a massive issue could stem from the possibility that he thinks not wanting to spend time at his house translates to you not wanting to spend time with him or not feeling comfortable with him.

You shouldn't be having to make excuses though - you have your reasons and he should respect that.

Maybe he just needs some reassurance that he is not the issue (spoken as a boyfriend who doesn't enjoy staying at his girlfriend's that much).
I've said that it's not personal but he can't get it into his head. Then, he was trying to make me feel guilty by saying that he doesn't have a 'family life' like me as his parents are divorced. But, this isn't my problem.
If I say I don't want to and am honest, he'll reply with saying that 'we don't want the same things' or that 'I don't love him'. It's so annoying! I just don't know what to do.

Tell him to be more respectful. He sounds like a manipulative beta male cuck :nope:
Reply 12
He sounds like a controlling beta male. leave him
Yeah I go round his house a lot but I just don't like sleeping over. I've explained why not and he still goes on and on about it, resulting in arguments! I don't know what else to say to him. :frown:

Then he has to put up with it or find a new gf. Arguing about it is so dull.
Lol I don't like going round girlfriends' houses if they're living at their parents'. It's awkward. I wouldn't even want to bring a girl back to my parent's house either :laugh:
He's usually fine, we've been together almost 4 years now and I did used to stay around in the past. But, as I've gotten older I just dislike it. I'm a quiet person and I do like my own space sometimes.

Sorry if I'm coming across as weird, it's just really getting me down with all of these arguments
I think it's because my parents make me feel embarrassed for staying over too. They say comments like 'did you get much sleep?' etc, which annoys me. He doesn't have this problem as his parents don't really give a sh about him.
Allah is trying to tell you that cohabiting pre marriage is a massive no no.

One can understand his position when a girlfriend of 4 years is saying that she does not want to sleep with her boyfriend.

I don't see it as controlling at all, your just not willing to say things straight.

Quick Reply

Latest