Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finally, An App That Splits The Bill So That White Men Pay More Watch

it uses data from the Bureau of Labor statistics on average earnings by race and gender, and splits the bill according to that.

This is again a very misleading use of the statistics - for example, they do not account for age (whites are an older age group, and therefore have higher wages on average; younger women make more money than white men, for the same hours and job worked).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0871f60eb1181

But its an interesting discussion topic: should white men pay more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    It also ignores the blindingly obvious solution of splitting the bill by their actual incomes.
    Well, that wouldn't be very identitarian, would it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Trust a "news" establishment that is almost exclusively female and engages incessantly to praise an app that justifies them being discriminated in favour of and their "oppressed" brethren even more so.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wow, can people these days not divide by 2?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Don't white men already pay for everything?

(Original post by HollyGeordie)
    :rofl:

I love that guy.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite interesting how the article says women are paid less for the same work when the article it references clearly stated it was on average for all full-time positions.

ReputationRep:
    If there were ever a public inquiry into Trump's election victory I would enter this as an exhibit.

(Original post by tomtjl)
    Don't white men already pay for everything?
    Not yet. Perhaps that should be in next year's New Year's Resolution for White Men?

ReputationRep:
    Excellent idea.

If a white man I am dining with wishes to pay a greater proportion of our restaurant bill then I'm not going to stop him. I may even order a second dessert.

(Original post by JohnGreek)
    Well, that wouldn't be very identitarian, would it?
    Just fyi, that word has another meaning. (Generation) Identitarian is actually a rather xenophobic European political movement. They are like the 'alt-right' of America, but young, secular and oddly rather hipster, and also quite few in number. https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-12-...opes-new-right

You were referring to identity politics, of course.

ReputationRep:
    > am white
    > am poor
    > mfw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Just fyi, you are using that word wrong. (Generation) Identitarian is actually a rather xenophobic European political movement. They are like the 'alt-right' of America, but young, secular and oddly rather hipster, and also quite few in number. https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-12-...opes-new-right

You were referring to identity politics, of course.
    Why do you imagine that this random group of Germans owns the exclusive rights to this particular English term? Is it solely on the basis that it was used as a translation in one article on an obscure news website?

His usage was perfectly sensible.

(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Why do you imagine that this random group of Germans owns the exclusive rights to this particular English term? Is it solely on the basis that it was used as a translation in one article on an obscure news website?

His usage was perfectly sensible.
    Because when I googled "identitarian", I only got results for this group (who are mainly French, actually).

But you are probably right, I am too tired to police language.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't people just pay for what they eat?

Bunch of ****ing scroungers.

ReputationRep:
    I have a better idea.

If you order food
    You pay for that food

Tada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I have a better idea.

If you order food
    You pay for that food

Tada.
    Don't be ridiculous, whitey gotta pay for being born a certain way. That is the only way to stop racism, by treating those with different skin colours differently.

Oh my logic.

ReputationRep:
    Should black people pay more taxes for the disproportionate amount of Black benefit claimants there are? Really makes you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Should black people pay more taxes for the disproportionate amount of Black benefit claimants there are? Really makes you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And higher incarceration rates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.