Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.. I am currently in my final year of my undergrad degree and have previously studied for a year in 2002. I had twins in November and I am emotionally and physically drained at present so I am considering postponing my studies till September 17. Would I be entitled to appeal as I have been told that I have no tuition fee entitlement left?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

The rules and regulations state the following.

Length of course 3 plus 1 gift year = 4 minus previous study 1 = 3 years full funding.
    Length of course 4 plus 1 gift year = 5 minus previous study 1 = 4 years full funding.

The above would have been the funding you had for your current course, however as you now wish to suspend your studies you would not receive full funding unless you could provide evidence of compelling personal reason.

If you have discussed your current situation with your university and your doctor they alone could provide sufficient evidence of your compelling personal reasons, providing the evidence confirms that this had had an effect on your studies and that this all happened during the time in question.

I hope this clarifies this matter.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and yes it does partly answer my question. I am additionally concerned as to whether evidence of compelling circumstances would be sufficient, as others on this forum said that the appeal was a struggle even though they had the evidence that was required.

(Original post by Victoria SFE)
    Hi,

The rules and regulations state the following.

Length of course 3 plus 1 gift year = 4 minus previous study 1 = 3 years full funding.
    Length of course 4 plus 1 gift year = 5 minus previous study 1 = 4 years full funding.

The above would have been the funding you had for your current course, however as you now wish to suspend your studies you would not receive full funding unless you could provide evidence of compelling personal reason.

If you have discussed your current situation with your university and your doctor they alone could provide sufficient evidence of your compelling personal reasons, providing the evidence confirms that this had had an effect on your studies and that this all happened during the time in question.

I hope this clarifies this matter.

thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

I am unable to comment on other peoples posts, but everyone is different, some people do not discus matters with their doctors and therefore do not have the evidence to show.

The only advise I can offer you is that if your current situation is causing issues with studying, I would speak to the university and let them know your situation and how it is effecting you. If this is a medical matter then we would advise that you contact your doctor who can provide written confirmation that this is causing issues and what issues it is causing.

However, if it is just the case of you need to take a year out due to having your children and attending university then this would not really be deemed as compelling personal reason.

I do not wish to ask to many personal questions but if it is the causing issues that may effect you physically and mentally (emotionally) I would strongly advise you to speak to the doctor and get medical evidence to confirm this.

I cannot guarantee that your evidence will be accepted as it is on a case by case basis, but would advise to speak to your university and take it from there.

I know that it may not be the answer you are looking for but I hope it has given you some clarification. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes thank you kindly for your response. I will contact the program leaders and my doctor and take it from there.
    😀
    (Original post by Victoria SFE)
    Hi,

I am unable to comment on other peoples posts, but everyone is different, some people do not discus matters with their doctors and therefore do not have the evidence to show.

The only advise I can offer you is that if your current situation is causing issues with studying, I would speak to the university and let them know your situation and how it is effecting you. If this is a medical matter then we would advise that you contact your doctor who can provide written confirmation that this is causing issues and what issues it is causing.

However, if it is just the case of you need to take a year out due to having your children and attending university then this would not really be deemed as compelling personal reason.

I do not wish to ask to many personal questions but if it is the causing issues that may effect you physically and mentally (emotionally) I would strongly advise you to speak to the doctor and get medical evidence to confirm this.

I cannot guarantee that your evidence will be accepted as it is on a case by case basis, but would advise to speak to your university and take it from there.

I know that it may not be the answer you are looking for but I hope it has given you some clarification. thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.