Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just making a thread in case there is anyone wanting to do the UK Linguistics Olympiad (UKLO) this February. The first round starts w/c 6th Feb. I'm entered to do the Advanced paper, and was wondering if anyone was planning also or had any tips / tricks for the paper!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Year 11 and entered to do the advanced paper on Tuesday 7th. I'm the only one doing it, and I'm definitely not looking forward to the 2.5hour exam conditions! XD I've looked at quite a few past papers available on the site, and tbh theres a small chance I might've bitten off more than I can chew , but its always worth a go! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakMinett)
    Hi, I'm in Year 11 and entered to do the advanced paper on Tuesday 7th. I'm the only one doing it, and I'm definitely not looking forward to the 2.5hour exam conditions! XD I've looked at quite a few past papers available on the site, and tbh theres a small chance I might've bitten off more than I can chew , but its always worth a go! Good luck!
    I was expecting to do the intermediate but got entered into advanced too - I'm doing it on Monday 6th. I can always do the first question but it can be hit and miss with the past questions I've tried. I'm using the exam conditions as practice for my French exam since this is gonna be the longest time I've ever been under exam conditions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the advanced on Wednesday, as my first one doing any of them. I've done quite a few practice papers, but I feel like, as with the UKMT stuff, that's probably all you can do.

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who haven't done it, question 7 is the worst one - remind me to never learn a language with an abugida

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchNerd2)
    For those of you who haven't done it, question 7 is the worst one - remind me to never learn a language with an abugida
    Looking forward to it.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 221Breezeblocks)
    Looking forward to it.....
    My advice would be to try to look for minimal pairs - there's a part where there are two solutions with the same starting word, so try to work with that and then see where you go from there. Also, there is an issue with phonotactics - some of the solutions appear to be transcriptions from the script so that they're readable in English, some are actually in English. This is the greatest difficulty. Start with the ones that are simply transcriptions and see if that gives you any clues as to how to proceed. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi, yes I think I can help you. email me: moncktonarundell at yahoo dot ca

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmiiH)
    I'm doing the advanced on Wednesday, as my first one doing any of them. I've done quite a few practice papers, but I feel like, as with the UKMT stuff, that's probably all you can do.
    Hi sorry to bother you, but is the UKMT that you mentioned the maths challenge thing? I was just wondering cause we were in it a few years ago😂

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the UKLO questions were the same as the AILO questions (Ireland)👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleIrishGeek)
    Does anyone know if the UKLO questions were the same as the AILO questions (Ireland)👍
    I very much doubt it: they never have been before, even if some questions overlap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleIrishGeek)
    Hi sorry to bother you, but is the UKMT that you mentioned the maths challenge thing? I was just wondering cause we were in it a few years ago😂
    Yeah, UKMT run the maths challenges and olympiads, but i don't know if they also run it in Ireland (I'm assuming that's where you live)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmiiH)
    Yeah, UKMT run the maths challenges and olympiads, but i don't know if they also run it in Ireland (I'm assuming that's where you live)
    Okay thanks, I think what they do here is a qualifying round for the uk one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmiiH)
    I very much doubt it: they never have been before, even if some questions overlap.
    We had an email about it from the R2 organiser because of the guy trying to cheat (I thought it was just spam) and the questions aren't usually that similar according to ****

ReputationRep:
    We had an email about it from the R2 organiser because of the guy trying to cheat (I thought it was just spam) and the questions aren't usually that similar according to ****
    Yeah, I know (I got through to R2 too), but if you look at past papers, there is often some overlap between the UKLO, AILO and NACLO papers, if you include R1 and 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmiiH)
    Yeah, I know (I got through to R2 too), but if you look at past papers, there is often some overlap between the UKLO, AILO and NACLO papers, if you include R1 and 2
    Fair enough, this is the first time I've actually done UKLO and I've not looked at the other papers so I'm just taking ****'s words at face value.

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting to do the intermediate but got entered into advanced too - I'm doing it on Monday 6th. I can always do the first question but it can be hit and miss with the past questions I've tried. I'm using the exam conditions as practice for my French exam since this is gonna be the longest time I've ever been under exam conditions.
    Hi - how can I participate - my school doesn't do it? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicMags)
    Hi - how can I participate - my school doesn't do it? Cheers
    Well it's too late to participate for 2017 but provided that you're still in high school or sixth form college next year, tell your school (whether the English or the MFL department) that you want to do it and tell them there's instructions as to how to register on the UKLO website. It's entirely free for schools and competitors. Good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    Well it's too late to participate for 2017 but provided that you're still in high school or sixth form college next year, tell your school (whether the English or the MFL department) that you want to do it and tell them there's instructions as to how to register on the UKLO website. It's entirely free for schools and competitors. Good luck with it
    Thanks a lot, will do!

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to try to look for minimal pairs - there's a part where there are two solutions with the same starting word, so try to work with that and then see where you go from there. Also, there is an issue with phonotactics - some of the solutions appear to be transcriptions from the script so that they're readable in English, some are actually in English. This is the greatest difficulty. Start with the ones that are simply transcriptions and see if that gives you any clues as to how to proceed. Hope that helps
    Are you through to the international round?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.