The christmas break is over and the new term has started. I'm at the point where I have not made any close friends or people that I believe I truly have things in common with enough to call them a 'friend'. I'm a member of clubs and societies and can sometimes have fun with people at these events, but I still haven't met any people that I can truly get along with like the friendship group I had in school. I'm finding my course extremely difficult which also means that I need to spend a lot of time studying trying to catch up. Advice?
Turn on thread page Beta
No friends at uni watch
- Thread Starter
- 17-01-2017 10:02
- 17-01-2017 10:05
You don't necessarily need friends at uni, how about getting a gym membership or checking out social events outside of uni?
- 17-01-2017 10:16
Try and bring your expectations down a little - you're not alone in the room with no one to talk to. You can't expect to have the same friendships after 2 months as the ones which took you years to build at school. Just keep meeting people and keep hanging out - it'll happen.
- Thread Starter
- 17-01-2017 10:19
Thanks guys, I'm just finding it difficult at the moment, I see a lot of people in small groups having a good time and I sort of just feel isolated.
- 17-01-2017 10:31
What University are you at?
- Community Assistant
- 17-01-2017 20:28
Just keep meeting people and join social clubs out of uni if you need to.
introduce yourself and talk to people about the course at lectures, tutorials.
To help you in general with meeting people:
1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller lol.
2) Smile, smiling in contagious.
3) Be confident, respect yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you, you?
4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.
5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?
6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about the weather etc.
7) Be passionate about life.
8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, interested, relaxed, open to people.
- 17-01-2017 20:33
Most people probably aren't having as much fun as you think they're having. A lot of university relationships are very superficial - it's a lot like school. Focus on having fun rather than looking at what you don't have. Try to relax!
I agree with Analyst89