Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    The UK will not become Zimbabwe.
    5 years ago the phrase "Trump will be president" was equally ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    As a proud nationalist, I welcome the hard Brexit. I value diversity, which the EU project has been destroying since its inception. I hope the other European countries stand up for themselves as we have and put the final nail in the EU coffin. Globalism is truly failing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    http://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk/mays-12...break-from-eu/

We can safely assume we are leaving the single market and probably the customs union too becoming a more 'global Britain'. As a Remain voter I'm actually quite optimistic and glad that brexit will be really put on test and we will ultimately find out 'the truth' .

(I had to laugh about Mays claim brexit will make the UK fairer whilst turning the UK into an even bigger international tax haven ...🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬 Ÿ‡§

I'm also glad that Theresa has utterly ignored the moronic cretins if the ukip ill that thinks the uk should become an anti EU liberation front and that the success of our EU friends is vital to continued peace and prosperity.
    I can't wait for everything to be amazing again!!! Just like they used to be in some undefined, non existent era before the EU became Hitler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    I value diversity, which the EU project has been destroying since its inception.
    You do understand that diversity is -by its very nature- one of the core values and characteristics of any bloc of nations?

(Original post by Voi)
    As a proud nationalist, I welcome the hard Brexit.
    I truly hope that you will experience discrimination and financial hardship in your near future due to your disgusting sentiment.
    If you ever graduate, and if you ever find a job post-Brexit, please do let your boss know about your attitude. Given that Remain voters are more highly educated, it is quite likely that you'll be out of a job quickly then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    You do understand that diversity is -by its very nature- one of the core values and characteristics of any bloc of nations?

I truly hope that you will experience discrimination and financial hardship in your near future due to your disgusting sentiment.
    If you ever graduate, and if you ever find a job post-Brexit, please do let your boss know about your attitude. Given that Remain voters are more highly educated, it is quite likely that you'll be out of a job quickly then.
    If you have a bloc nation, over time, its diversity will decrease as a result of it becoming increasingly homogenised / monolithic i.e. mixing of different peoples and cultures. This is a main criticism of globalisation.

Your second point is purely satirical, thanks for the laugh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    If you have a bloc nation, over time, its diversity will decrease as a result of it becoming increasingly homogenised / monolithic i.e. mixing of different peoples and cultures. This is a main criticism of globalisation.
    Pity for your argument then that the EU never had the ambition of becoming a homogenised 'bloc nation'. Instead, its cultural diversity is one of its main strengths and attractions. You've been truly fooled by UKIP and the Daily Mail, looking like a right fool now.

(Original post by Voi)
    Your second point is purely satirical, thanks for the laugh!
    No, that is actually your future. Virtually everyone who's got something to say in Britain's economy (or universities) is pro-Europe. You'll have a hard time in life, my fascist friend.

ReputationRep:
    So now where are David Davis, Daniel Hannan, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, and all the other leavers who told us we'd retain single market access after a leave vote? I remember being told by leavers on this very forum that I'd be mad to think we wouldn't be staying in the single market, that the EU would be begging for us to stay, that we could totally eat our cake and have it. Anybody care to comment?

ReputationRep:
    Watching the speech, it seems to me that May is trying to get the best of everything without paying for it.

I really don't think this represents a big change in the governments position. Just confirmed some things that everyone else already knew.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, you lot will suffer so baaaaad... tax haven? More like banana republic.
    at least we will be able to determine the shape of our bananas :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Pity for your argument then that the EU never had the ambition of becoming a homogenised 'bloc nation'. Instead, its cultural diversity is one of its main strengths and attractions. You've been truly fooled by UKIP and the Daily Mail, looking like a right fool now.

No, that is actually your future. Virtually everyone who's got something to say in Britain's economy (or universities) is pro-Europe. You'll have a hard time in life, my fascist friend.
    Sure, today the EU might seem very multicultural, but this won't last. As I said, over time, whether it is 50 years, 100 years, 500 years, everything will mix together to produce a monoculture (coffee coloured people, no local cultures, no identity etc) - actually kind of like the second law of thermodynamics: entropy, from order to chaos. Where's the diversity in that? You're thinking short term diversity, I'm thinking long-term diversity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    So now where are David Davis, Daniel Hannan, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, and all the other leavers who told us we'd retain single market access after a leave vote? I remember being told by leavers on this very forum that I'd be mad to think we wouldn't be staying in the single market, that the EU would be begging for us to stay, that we could totally eat our cake and have it. Anybody care to comment?
    It really isn't hard to understand the difference between access to and membership of the single market. Read Hannan's 'What Next' if you want an understanding of what our relationship will be like (he advocates EFTA but it seems we will aim for a similar CETA arrangement).

ReputationRep:
    Oh, do I see a softening in your stance there? Weren't you super convinced until a few months ago that Brexit was the best thing that ever happened to your country? Reality setting in?

You know, we don't mind. Because we are Europeans, members of the same community, and help our brothers out. If I were paying taxes in Germany I wouldn't mind some of my tax Euros going to poorer nations. And that's the difference between us and you lot - empathy, solidarity, good-will, you lack all of those things. And that's why it's good you're out and will suffer badly.
    Hey chill out! Germany already recouped their money + more from Greece and are actually holding them to ransom against their democratic decision and plainly just bullying them. Even though I was remain slightly you would be a fool to think the UK will suffer badly lol. We just have too many people here and the infrastructure is not good enough. I know immigration is important but we need to sort some issues out first because taking more.

Personally I think the UK should not be governed by Brussels and we should have control of our borders. The rest can remain the same. I don't mind us giving money away in aid and stuff and the membership fee.

ReputationRep:
    This is the correct thing to do, as a Remainer I'm a little gutted in one sense as returning to the EU while in the Market would be easier than out of it, but really I think the Referendum should have been either Remain or Hard Brexit.

That said, a worrying time for us all, these trade deals will take a long time to negotiate and the onus is on us to force them through, I am therefore sceptical that any trade deal will be better than our EU arrangements, very concerning. The US/UK Trump deal also means TTIP could put our UK services at risk.

Under the Tories I'd be worried we lose entitlements, like workers rights, the working time directive etc.

Would be keen to see how many "Leavers" would re-vote Remain should our deals flop spectacularly.

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen so much shite in one place. Because their heads are so much up their arses there is only one place that the sh*t can come from with Europhiles - their mouth!

The EU is a sinking ship. There is no future for it. Greece is in a mess, Germany is in a mess, Spain is in a mess, Italy is in a mess and we are expected to bail them all out. No chance. We have been crucified by countries that should have been our friends in the EU. Time for us to play dirty. Hard Brexit, sod the single market. Everyone will still want to trade with us and it will be on our terms.

According to the remainers this country should already be in chaos but the doom & gloom predictions have come to nothing. The reality is that it was all just scaremongering as is happening now. No-one can predict the future but it is a safe bet to say we will be better off outside the shambles that is the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)
    It really isn't hard to understand the difference between access to and membership of the single market. Read Hannan's 'What Next' if you want an understanding of what our relationship will be like (he advocates EFTA but it seems we will aim for a similar CETA arrangement).
    The problem is that it turns out 'access to' is meaningless. Pre-referendum it meant we could retain tariff-free trade without freedom of movement. What does it mean now that we've learnt we can't have that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    Hey chill out! Germany already recouped their money + more from Greece [...]
    Yup, we never said we wouldn't. Bailing someone out who screwed up badly doesn't mean there's free money to be had. However...

(Original post by Emz99)
    [...] and are actually holding them to ransom against their democratic decision and plainly just bullying them.
    ... that is just plain BS.

(Original post by Emz99)
    Even though I was remain slightly you would be a fool to think the UK will suffer badly lol.

Don't take it from me, take it from every respected expert - or maybe the GBP course over the 6 months? You, my friend, will probably be unemployed after uni or work a *****y job while Germans your age get decent jobs with good salaries - deal with it.

(Original post by Emz99)
    We just have too many people here and the infrastructure is not good enough. I know immigration is important but we need to sort some issues out first because taking more.
    Well, your roads sure are shite - I am just sad that you just outed yourself as a xenophobe.

(Original post by Emz99)
    Personally I think the UK should not be governed by Brussels and we should have control of our borders. The rest can remain the same.
    Yeah, too bad that didn't work out. It's all or nothing, buddy.

ReputationRep:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'd say overall this seemed the right way to go - there were advantages and disadvantages to leaving or staying in the EU, but the "soft" Brexit option seemed to take just the disadvantages from both - e.g. still having to pay money to Europe, have a certain amount of freedom of movement (which was a major reason for people voting to leave) and yet not having a real say in political or economic decisions made about Europe.

ReputationRep:
    "There can be no democractic choice against the European treaties." That is the quote by one Jean-Claude Juncker which pretty much sums up the EU in many people's eyes right now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, me. The Leavers being anti-intellectual and anti-expert know as much about public policy as I know about milking sheep. Which is nada.

Yes, I'm using foreign words to infuriate the nativist leavers on here. I anticipate your denunciations bros. Come at me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.