Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    http://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk/mays-12...break-from-eu/

We can safely assume we are leaving the single market and probably the customs union too becoming a more 'global Britain'. As a Remain voter I'm actually quite optimistic and glad that brexit will be really put on test and we will ultimately find out 'the truth' .

(I had to laugh about Mays claim brexit will make the UK fairer whilst turning the UK into an even bigger international tax haven ...🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬 Ÿ‡§

I'm also glad that Theresa has utterly ignored the moronic cretins if the ukip ill that thinks the uk should become an anti EU liberation front and that the success of our EU friends is vital to continued peace and prosperity.
    That's brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Not anymore.
    Good riddance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)
    Regulations only apply to trade with the members, not to the entire domestic economy.
    You say that like it is a good thing. Why would any company wish to have to work to two or more different standards? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I remember the first time I changed brake fluid. I was in Halfords and noticed that there were two types of fluid. There was one for basically every car in the world, and the other was for certain types of Citron. It is a nightmare. I remember my first trip to France in the 80s. As well as driving on the other side of the road, French cars all had yellow headlights and no doubt a whole load of other features and standards that were different to Germany and different to the UK. All quaint and heart warming. But then back in the 80s most households could only afford to run one car. Couple had to share. Cars were really expensive compared to earnings. Is that what we want again?

The idea that somehow the UK can be freed of all this "red tape" is just barmy. The only people I can see waving this flag are the Little Englanders who get a boner form the idea of buying a pound of apples (not a kilo) from their local greengrocers. However, the irony is that those same people put the local greengrocers out of business because they prefer the cheap imports of uniformly precise apples well packaged, sold by Tesco down the road.

ReputationRep:
    Now we can:

Abolish Tarriffs
    Slash Corporation tax
    Stop wasting money on areas outside the South East (and foreign aid)
    Massively Cut immigration.
    Leave the ECHR
    Make JR Mogg Governor of the Bank of England
    Leave NATO and forge a partnership with Trump and Putin
    Scrap all H&S regulation
    Scrap maternity pay
    Outlaw unions
    Bring back Death penalty
    Compulsory National Service
    Knight Nigel Farage
    Spend £59 million on a royal yacht
    Scrap the BBC Nationalise the Daily Mail
    Cut welfare and force claimants to do hard manual labour
    Give our police guns

And other common sense measures

ReputationRep:
    Now we can:

Abolish Tarriffs
    Slash Corporation tax

Leave the ECHR
    Scrap all H&S regulation
    Scrap maternity pay
    Outlaw unions
    Bring back Death penalty
    Knight Nigel Farage

Give our police guns

Good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    agree with everything you said except for bringing back the death penalty. The death penalty is an easy way out. Life time in solitary confinement would be better.

ReputationRep:
    All Illuminati at the end of the day

ReputationRep:
    No surprise really. This is what Brexit was always going to be.

I, and many others on the remain side, always said that voting to leave would mean that we'd exit the single market. The remain side says that the implications of doing so will be hugely damaging for the UK.

Meanwhile, the Leave camp made pledge after pledge that we'd stay in the Single Market. They refused to admit that we're either in or out. They suggested that the EU would crumble and be forced to give us whatever we wanted. How wrong they were.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. I think that if I was a UK business which traded with the EU, I'd be very worried. This kind of uncertainty and worry surely can't be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    agree with everything you said except for bringing back the death penalty. The death penalty is an easy way out. Life time in solitary confinement would be better.
    You claim To be a member of the labour oarty and left wing yet support abolishing tariffs, corporation tax and making a hard conservative governor if the Bank of England....right

ReputationRep:
    You claim To be a member of the labour oarty and left wing yet support abolishing tariffs, corporation tax and making a hard conservative governor if the Bank of England....right
    I didn't read it properly. Jacob Rees Mogg is a nice guy. One of a few tories I like.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone capable of dressing themselves should be against tariffs. They're indefensible and stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Everyone capable of dressing themselves should be against tariffs. They're indefensible and stupid.
    Tell that to Donald Trump and his fan base to which RedManc is apparently a member.

I say this as someone whose broadly a neoliberal that there can be some defence of tariffs. It's not popular to agree with experts these days but most studies conclude that abolishing tarriffs would lead to our farming and manufacturing industries being decimated- even amongst it's supporters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)
    Access to is not descriptively useless. Membership entails 100% of ECJ laws and regulations to be applied not only to goods and services trading within the single market, but also applied to rest of the domestic economy which does not trade with the single market. Membership entails total subjection to this legal authority.

Access to, however, allows countries, such as Canada through CETA, to access and operate within the single market when trading with members of it. Regulations only apply to trade with the members, not to the entire domestic economy. We access their goods and services and comply to the standards, but they are not applied to the entire economy as membership entails. That is why we can essentially unpick burdensome regulation if necessary when we leave, but we currently fit all regulatory standards as current members, thus access to will essentially maintain the status quo.
    The fact we're even arguing over what 'access to' means goes to show how uselessly vague the term is. Yes, CETA grants access to the EEA, but any country who trades with the EU can be said to 'have access' - and this even includes North Korea.

Still demonstrates how it is not an actual 'principle'. It's not wishful thinking to logically assume that the EU will want to keep barrier-free access to its most important export market in the world, especially in the face of its economic and political turmoil.
    That's not a logical assumption at all. There's more to this than economics. The EU can't be seen to allow countries to tailor deals that grant them all the benefits of the EEA with none of the 'undesirable' commitments. It would set a dangerous precedent for the EU. This isn't spite, it's self-interest.

ReputationRep:
    Tell that to Donald Trump and his fan base to which RedManc is apparently a member.
    Mr. Trump, on the off-chance you do read this (you spend enough time online) tariffs are a ****ing dumb idea.

I say this as someone whose broadly a neoliberal that there can be some defence of tariffs. It's not popular to agree with experts these days but most studies conclude that abolishing tarriffs would lead to our farming and manufacturing industries being decimated- even amongst it's supporters.
    Which would be good for the economy overall, if unfortunate for the farmers.

And just to be clear, the fact that the seven people in 2017 Britain still farming for a living would go broke is very sad. But it's not the fault of international free trade. It's the fact that, through tariffs, those farmers have been shielded from competition and allowed to exist in an artificially stunted marketplace. Had we not had tariffs from day one, the farmers would either have adjusted or seen the writing on the wall long enough in advance to make arrangements for their retirement or change in career. But the fact that we didn't give them that chance doesn't seem like a good enough reason to make consumers suffer because of FCO ineptitude decades and decades ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Which would be good for the economy overall, if unfortunate for the farmers.

And just to be clear, the fact that the seven people in 2017 Britain still farming for a living would go broke is very sad. But it's not the fault of international free trade. It's the fact that, through tariffs, those farmers have been shielded from competition and allowed to exist in an artificially stunted marketplace. Had we not had tariffs from day one, the farmers would either have adjusted or seen the writing on the wall long enough in advance to make arrangements for their retirement or change in career. But the fact that we didn't give them that chance doesn't seem like a good enough reason to make consumers suffer because of FCO ineptitude decades and decades ago.
    Broadly agree- although a few more than seven people are involved in agriculture not to mention manufacturing...

That said it would be amusing: a majority of farmers and industrial workers voted for brexit. **** 'em. They got their free global Britain!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You only select those few? It would have been far easier to highlight the exceptions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Now we can:

Abolish Tarriffs
    Slash Corporation tax
    Leave the ECHR
    Scrap all H&S regulation
    Scrap maternity pay
    Outlaw unions
    Bring back Death penalty
    Knight Nigel Farage
    Give our police guns

Congratulations for listing all the things that have already happened according to people like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Congratulations for listing all the things that have already happened according to people like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't say they already happened...

What? I'm doing a Theresa and making the best of Brexit!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say they already happened...

What? I'm doing a Theresa and making the best of Brexit!
    You're listing the thing that are said at the beginning of every Conservative government, and every election. If they're going to happen now why didn't they happen before? What's special now? And before you say brexit, most of those things could be done even as an EU member state.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Broadly agree- although a few more than seven people are involved in agriculture not to mention manufacturing...

That said it would be amusing: a majority of farmers and industrial workers voted for brexit. **** 'em. They got their free global Britain!
    Unilateral free trade would be Hannan's wet dream. We'd be like Singapore on steroids.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.