Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Citation needed.
    Did you follow the Leave campaign at all? Seriously, did you?

Denying things don't make them go away. Not all Leave voters are xenophobic nationalists, but by having cast your vote that way (and still not regretting it, despite the evidence mounting that it was a monumental, historical mistake), you joined their ranks. Now go on, defend their disgusting, toxic political views.

(Original post by jape)
    Is the most irrational, hypersensitive non-sequitur I've ever read. What inspired this screed?
    No, it's a factual societal observation, explaining the rampant nationalism, xenophobia and general hostility in Britain.

(Original post by jape)
    To quote Nigel Farage:

I love Europe. I think it is the most wonderful, exciting continent on the planet. It has within it such limited geography, such massive diversity. You travel 100 miles through Europe you find different languages, different cultures, different histories and different cheeses. It is a wonderful place.

It's a very common sentiment among Leavers, particularly those leading the campaign.
    Ok, that's it. I give up. You're seriously quoting Nigel Farage, one of the most disgusting liars and xenophobes in Europe, objectively exposed to have mislead the British public for his own gain, universally shunned by respected politicians the world over? You are even dumber than I thought. Do you even have a degree?

ReputationRep:
    I realise this is a waste of time but I can't sleep and you're infuriatingly obtuse.

(Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Did you follow the Leave campaign at all? Seriously, did you?
    Yes. I supported it.

Denying things don't make them go away.
    Did someone steal all your mirrors? Crikey.

Not all Leave voters are xenophobic nationalists
    Oh boy, progress of a sort.

but by having cast your vote that way (and still not regretting it, despite the evidence mounting that it was a monumental, historical mistake)
    Ahahahahaha

What evidence? I feel better about my vote now than I did at the turn of the year. It's a great time to be British and Whitehall have the power in this negotiation.

you joined their ranks.
    Oh, so I am a xenophobe now? So much for progress.

Now go on, defend their disgusting, toxic political views.
    Not everyone should be allowed on to our pleasant little island. Some of them won't acclimate to our savage, cruel culture. Some won't contribute economically. Some will try and blow us up. Not many, but really one or two is enough to cause serious problems.

No, it's a factual societal observation, explaining the rampant nationalism, xenophobia and general hostility in Britain.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Ok, that's it. I give up. You're seriously quoting Nigel Farage, one of the most disgusting liars and xenophobes in Europe, objectively exposed to have mislead the British public for his own gain, universally shunned by respected politicians the world over? You are even dumber than I thought. Do you even have a degree?
    I'm so enlightened and sure of myself and I'm basically a more cultured Noam Chomsky, but please don't provide me any evidence that what I'm saying is worth less than the keys I used to type it out on or else I'll go into spams and call you dumb.

And no, you dullard, I don't have my degree yet. I'm a student. Hence The Student Room.

ReputationRep:
    If Farage is a liar then Juncker must also be a liar then. Juncker said one cannot democratically challenge European treaties. Whether he's right or not, the words already came out of his mouth and pretty much every anti-EU party picked up on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    I realise this is a waste of time but I can't sleep and you're infuriatingly obtuse.
    I agree, you have no points to make, are fighting a lost cause, and quoted Farage, quite a waste of time. And if my vote turned out to be as idiotic as yours, I couldn't sleep either!

(Original post by jape)
    Yes. I supported it.
    I gathered that much from your delusion and obvious lack of intelligence. I still doubt you really followed it though.

(Original post by jape)
    What evidence? I feel better about my vote now than I did at the turn of the year. It's a great time to be British and Whitehall have the power in this negotiation.
    Oh, things like your currency tanking, making the imports you are so dependent on quite expensive, or your only relevant industry preparing to move thousands of staff (think of the lost value added and tax revenue) outside the country? Or May showcasing how she got absolutely nowhere with her negotiations and had her 'demands' thrown in her face by Brussels? You're the laughing stock of Europe, and at the mercy of Brussels - a great time to be British indeed.

(Original post by jape)
    Oh, so I am a xenophobe now? So much for progress.
    Potentially, yes, as you're siding with xenophobes, supporting a cause that was run on a xenophobic platform.

(Original post by jape)
    Not everyone should be allowed on to our pleasant little island. Some of them won't acclimate to our savage, cruel culture. Some won't contribute economically. Some will try and blow us up. Not many, but really one or two is enough to cause serious problems.
    Thinly, poorly veiled xenophobia, and lack of empathy with war refugees. True about the savage culture though.

(Original post by jape)
    I'm so enlightened and sure of myself and I'm basically a more cultured Noam Chomsky, but please don't provide me any evidence that what I'm saying is worth less than the keys I used to type it out on or else I'll go into spams and call you dumb.
    Trite, pseudo-intellectual drivel, failing to detract from the fact you nothing worthwhile for a counter. Just like Farage then, rhetorically.

(Original post by jape)
    And no, you dullard, I don't have my degree yet. I'm a student. Hence The Student Room.
    So the postgraduate and mature students sub-forums are just for decoration then, you halfwit? I'm seriously tired of discussing with uneducated children on here.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I sure hope she is able to turn the UK into a global country compared to the inward looking EU. /s

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 1.13.00 PM.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  124.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    If Farage is a liar then Juncker must also be a liar then. Juncker said one cannot democratically challenge European treaties. Whether he's right or not, the words already came out of his mouth and pretty much every anti-EU party picked up on it.
    What he said was:-

"Il ne peut y avoir de choix démocratique contre les traités européens, on ne peut pas sortir de l'euro sans sortir de l'Union européenne."

"There can be no democratic choice against the European treaties, one cannot exit the euro without leaving the EU."

This was said in the context of a suggestion that the Greek voters decide to return to the Drachma but remain in the EU.

Frankly that is an unexceptional comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Nope.
    Neither guaranteed good nor guaranteed bad, just keeping an open mind about it.

No. You don't mind. And neither do some of the other people in the country. But some do. Ignoring their point of view isn't very friendly.

And I do love the irony in your post. Unintended as it was. It's cute that you're so rattled by us. Clearly, if we're as insignificant as you say then you wouldn't be making half the fuss you are. You're adorable
    The fuss is the realization that so much humanity is complete shite. Even in our own backyards.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to the second Scottish Independence referendum. It's time to abandon the sinking ship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAndCoffee)
    Looking forward to the second Scottish Independence referendum. It's time to abandon the sinking ship.
    Enjoy waiting 20 plus years for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAndCoffee)
    You think Scotland would better off out of the UK?

ReputationRep:
    I have a few offers deferred for 2018 as an EU student. How likely are EU fees to increase for 2018/19 onwards, would you say? I'm considering trying to move my offers to 2017, if possible in order to not risk it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomazo)
    I have a few offers deferred for 2018 as an EU student. How likely are EU fees to increase for 2018/19 onwards, would you say? I'm considering trying to move my offers to 2017, if possible in order to not risk it.
    If you come in before we exit then you have no risk as the government have pledged that already

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    whats actually happening on the Brexit thing? takes me far too much energy following this depressing heap of shite properly anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    whats actually happening on the Brexit thing? takes me far too much energy following this depressing heap of shite properly anymore
    Negotiations haven't started yet, but May's speech recently was very encouraging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    If you come in before we exit then you have no risk as the government have pledged that already

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you show me where they have pledged that? Regarding the fees, they have only officially announced that students starting in 2017/18 will have the home fees. But there has been no word on 2018/19 onwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomazo)
    Could you show me where they have pledged that? Regarding the fees, they have only officially announced that students starting in 2017/18 will have the home fees. But there has been no word on 2018/19 onwards.
    Quick Google will show it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    I was going to answer this, but then I saw you'd already covered the ground. No pun intended. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Not the impression I got.

Ever heard of the term majority? If the polls are anything to go by, a vast majority of Germans would still vote for Merkel's party, its coalition partner (social democrats), or any other center-left parties that support EU membership and bailing out fellow EU states that are in dire need of help (with stringent austerity measures following, of course). So yeah, 'ignoring' the point of the extremists (which are thankfully a small minority, unlike in Britain) is very much the way to go forward.

No irony there, you just -as usual- don't get it. Yes, Britain is insignificant on a global scale. Politically, economically, population size wise. The EU doesn't really need you lot.
    What bugs me (and many other Europeans, and thankfully also our guys in Brussels) is that you have committed treason against the European idea and have the cheek to try and mix-and-match your privileges. That is why I follow the negotiations very closely, and enjoy it very much to see how it slowly sinks in what a monumental mistake this was for Britain.
    What about the majority that voted for Brexit, hmm? :smug:

Have you still not caught on that the hoighty-toighty hyperbola that you're still spewing (months after the referendum) is exactly what cost the remain side the referendum? People don't appreciate being spoken to in that tone of voice, especially when what you're saying is so utterly hysterical and bordering on obsession.

ReputationRep:

So the postgraduate and mature students sub-forums are just for decoration then, you halfwit? I'm seriously tired of discussing with uneducated children on here.
    You went to London South Bank University. Wouldn't wipe my arse with a degree from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Quick Google will show it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :confused: All a quick google shows is statements about the 2017/18 academic year, all of which state that nothing is confirmed regarding 2018/19 onwards. So if your google shows something my google doesn't, I'd be glad to see that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.